"..so I left Roma, my home town, for Civitavecchia!" Top 5 Page for this destination Civitavecchia by abraxa
Civitavecchia Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 101 photos
Most travellers, including the italian summer turist passing through this little harbour city have considered it little more than the main gateway to Sardinia for many years, but there is much more to this place and if you are likely to pass by it is worthed some homework and a few hours to spare, may be a break from Roma or from a cruse.
(more turist info:<www.comunecivitavecchia.it/citta/citta.asp>)
The place, etruscan then roman, important harbour and defence in Gotic wars, with monuments designed by Michelangelo and Vanvitelli,visited in the XVI century by samurai traveller from Osaka. Later was so heavly destrojed by bombing during II WW to be the only city actually abandoned by its inhabitants for many months. For decades after the war reconstruction lagged, railway running across the centre and a power station towering just south of town. Then...
(for more pictures and much more details visit: <www.storiacv.etruria.net/> it is interesting!
..finally, a flow of reconstruction € and goodwill hit the town and in a few years Civitavecchia changed its face: a well restored old centre, displaced power station and railway, modern services and cleaned up monuments. Now they are working on a new harbour south of the town, and projects like the largest aquarium of Italy and many important facilities and sites. But the monuments, museums, thermal baths, woods, beaches are there now for you with an eccellent location near Roma and Viterbo, close to Tolfa, well served by transport and on the edge of Tuscany Maremma, the land of the italian cowboys that challanged BuffaloBill Circus, and actually won!
(...drop a line for more info on local monuments, spots and of course...foods.)
- Pros:easy, strategic location, vist in one day, sunset at the therms, seafood
- Cons:little information, crowded by locals from july to septmber
- In a nutshell:worthed a day at the sea from Roma, or a stop off your cruise
Well I thought we were looking for trasportation solutions or maybe .. gelato? For the first question, remember you will... more travel advice
abraxa's Related Pages
Civitavecchia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CIVITAVECCHIA, CIAO ROMA!"
- "Civitavecchia, Italy"
- "THE PORT OF ROME"
- "..so I left Roma, my home town, for Civitavecchia!"
- "The "Port of Rome""
- "The Port for Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Civitavecchia
- Transportation in Civitavecchia
- Restaurants in Civitavecchia
- Warnings and Dangers in Civitavecchia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Civitavecchia
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Civitavecchia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Civitavecchia
- Commented on one of abraxa's Civitavecchia travel pages
- Posted in Travel Civitavecchia Forum "Re: Sightseeing outside..."
- Wrote a Review Civitavecchia-Roma train and... best gelato! in Civitavecchia Favorites
- updated a Civitavecchia Travel Page "..so I left Roma, my home town, for Civitavecchia!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "..so I left Roma, my home town, for Civitavecchia!"
- Top 5 Page for this destination Civitavecchia Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Cuba 1 review
- Rome 1 review
No friends yet.