"Sail Away to Ocracoke!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Island by NC_Ziggy

Ocracoke Island Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 109 photos

Making Way to the Outer Banks!

After 6 hours and a night of driving through intermitten rain, we arrived at Swan Quarter, NC to begin our journey to the Outer Banks of North Carolina! Though hardly anyone slept prior to our departure from our homes and only the little ones slept during the drive, we still had a feeling of excitment and anticipation as we arrived to a clear, sunny morning...

It is here at Swan Quarter where you can drive aboard the ferry and choose from several destinations to begin your memorable experience to the historical and scenic Outer Banks. We choose to take the southern route to Ocracoke Island, then another ferry to Hatteras Island, and then an 80 mile drive on Highway 12 between the ocean and the sound to our final destination of Nags Head.

*** A special note: Not to be unkind to Ocracoke Island as we only were there for a few hours, but it seemed to me quite small and with less room to roam, especially by car. I'm pretty sure, however, that if you want a relaxing place to stay where walking or travel by bike is preferred, this may be just the place for you! Travel to and from the island is by ferry only, though I think there may be a small airfield for those fortunate enough to have your own plane. ***

Though I have been a resident of North Carolina my entire life, except for my Army years, I had never visited the Outer Banks of my own state... What a BOOB I AM! (Your participation and/or agreement is not required...) All I can say to you is this, If you ever have the opportunity to visit this place... Do It! Perhaps you should even consider "making" the opportunity as I think you will appreciate your decision! Come along as we begin our voyage and subsequent time spent on... The Outer Banks!

• Pros:Small, Intimate & Historical Island
  • Cons:Access to Island by Ferry only
  • In a nutshell:Great Place to visit, but I prefer more freedom to roam by car than the Island affords...
  • Last visit to Ocracoke Island: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2005

• Feb 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I have read your comment, and i have also discovered a seagul with no legs, it gave me many questions aswell, ecspecially how it lands! ?

• Oct 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM

you need to read more travel tips. what did you think of the small pirate museum?

• Shihar's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Hey Ziggy... thanks for the great ocracoke tips! I'm going camping there next month. you have me beat.. I lived in NC for 4 years and never to OBX! FYI- those are Laughing Gulls you were admiring..

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Hihi, wonderful page - I love your story of blackbeard and laughed very much about poor seagulls and their hard decisions :-))) And beautiful lighthouse !!! Thanks for leading me here :-))

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 6:23 AM

What a lovely page Steve,it looks beautiful i would watch the seagulls for hours!!total relaxation.

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 9:23 PM

lovely! and do they do the hokey kokey in Ocracoke! ;-)

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 12:31 PM

I loved all of the Blackbeard information. I also was intrigued by the pirate lore when I was on the Outer Banks.

• Aug 3, 2005 at 9:44 AM

Alas, you made it to the Outer Banks. This looks like a beautiful place to escape to. I kind of have a thing for ferries.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 12:35 PM

As lighthouse buffs this is high on our list of places to see. We'll make it to Ocracoke someday - maybe summer after next. That 2 hour and 45 minute ferry rides sounds like something we would enjoy.

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 8:22 PM

Nice Page. Lighthouse hunting is one of my hobbies, so I will try to see this one next week! Ferd

NC_Ziggy

“Dancing Madly Backwards on a Sea of Air”

Badges & Stats in Ocracoke Island

Have you been to Ocracoke Island?

Latest Activity in Ocracoke Island