"The Lost Colony..." Top 5 Page for this destination Manteo by NC_Ziggy
Manteo Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 67 photos
When and if you come to this area (and you really should!) be sure to spend time in the town of Manteo. History and sights abound, but the thing that struck me most is it doesn't look like you're anywhere near the ocean here! There are huge forests, lush green grass, and a peaceful, easy feeling to the place.
And while you're here, one "Must See" is the theatrical production of "The Lost Colony". This is the oldest Outdoor Drama in the U.S. and now in its 68th season.
In brief unofficial summation, this is an historic drama based upon the arrival of the first English settlers who came here in 1587 only to vanish without a trace by 1590. The play chronicles the difficulties, hardships, and near starvation as the colonists were befriended by some Native Americans and attacked by others. In the end, they are abandoned by Queen Elizabeth I who refuses to allow even one small ship to reprovision them because the Spanish fleet threatens England. When help finally arrives in 1590, the fort is found abandoned with the word "Croatoan" found carved in a post and "CRO" carved in a tree. The exact fate of the 120 people remains a mystery to this day...
The 2002 Production Season of “The Lost Colony” runs from June 3 through August 19. Performances are presented Monday through Saturday at 8:30pm. Ticket prices are $16 for adults, $8 for children 11 and under. Children are admitted free on Mondays with accompanied adult. A note for you- Photos are not allowed to be taken during the performance. Phone the ticket office at 252-473-3414 or visit them online here! The Lost Colony
- Pros:Very Historical and Entertaining
- Cons:Non, Non!
- In a nutshell:This Place Doesn't Look Like a Coastal Place!
The Lucky Dogs! They've just been where I wanted to go! Some people have all the luck while some have none! Guess where... more travel advice
I wish I could have been aboard this beauty! How gracefully she moved with the wind billowing her sails and the sound of... more travel advice
NC_Ziggy's Related Pages
Manteo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lost Colony..."
- "The Middle of Roanoke Island"
- "FreeCloud's new Manteo Page"
- "Manteo is a beautiful seaside village"
- "Basaic Manteo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manteo
- Hotels in Manteo
- Restaurants in Manteo
- Shopping in Manteo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manteo
- 18 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Manteo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manteo
Photos in ManteoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 47 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hickory Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nags Head Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manteo Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Irvine Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Davenport Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues