"Wright Brothers Memorial- First Flight!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kill Devil Hills by NC_Ziggy
Kill Devil Hills Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 181 photos
I was most fortunate to have a beautiful day for my solo excursion. My first stop just minutes away from our "home-away-from-home" in Nags Head was the Wright Brothers National Monument. If you are in this area, you must visit if only for the historical significance of this place and the impact the Wright Brothers feat has made upon the world.
There are several exhibits to visit that are most interesting and you will see more about them in the following pages. There is also the very place where the first flights ocurred. Perhaps the most striking visual is the Wright Brothers Monument. Erected in 1932 it is very majestic especially on such a beautiful day as I experienced.
If you are staying in this area, go early to visit this site as your entrance fee of $5 per person is good for seven days and allows you to visit more than once if you so choose.
If you wonder why there are so many pictures contained here of the monument, it is because you can drive all the way around and from every angle you're provided with a great photo opportunity, so that's my excuse for presenting so many pics and I honestly could not eliminate any of them!
This is the sight as you stand outside the Visitors Center that also contains a small theatre featuring an approximately 1/2 hour film on this historical place and event. As I was alone and on my way up the coast to see the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, I chose not to wait for the next showing.
In the picture you see here, just to the right is the strip where the first flights took place. Ahead and to the left you see an additional exhibit area and in the background is the Wright Brothers Monument. The flag adds to the panorama.
This is a replica of the original plane inside the Visitors Center along with other artifacts and information relating to the events that transpired here!
One fact that I found quite interesting is the vast amount of skepticism that the Wrights encountered even after their success in achieving flight. For instance, some two years and several planes later they offered their flyer to the U.S. Army who was so dubious of their accomplishments that they refused to even meet with them! Tsk, Tsk!
I wish now that I had returned to spend more time but hopefully will have the opportunity to return someday... Maybe I'll see you there! :-)
- Pros:Very Interesting and Historical
- Cons:I Needed More Time
- In a nutshell:A Must See for All Aviation Fans!
This is once again in the exhibit area closest to the monument. The title of this exhibit struck me as a bit odd, but... more travel advice
So this area is not so photographic but the historical significance makes up for it. Take a stroll on the very spot... more travel advice
NC_Ziggy's Related Pages
Kill Devil Hills Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Family Vacation, or quiet Get Away!"
- "Kill Devil Hill - First In Flight"
- "Wright Brothers Memorial- First Flight!"
- "b1bob goes to Kill Devil Hills"
- "They Flew At Kill Devil Hills"
- "Yallerhammer's Kill Devil Hills Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kill Devil Hills
- Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
- Transportation in Kill Devil Hills
- Nightlife in Kill Devil Hills
- Restaurants in Kill Devil Hills
- Shopping in Kill Devil Hills
- Warnings and Dangers in Kill Devil Hills
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kill Devil Hills
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kill Devil Hills?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kill Devil Hills
Photos in Kill Devil HillsSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 47 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hickory Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nags Head Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manteo Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Irvine Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Davenport Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues