"Wright Brothers Memorial- First Flight!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kill Devil Hills by NC_Ziggy

Kill Devil Hills Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 181 photos

December 17, 1903- Man's First Flight!

I was most fortunate to have a beautiful day for my solo excursion. My first stop just minutes away from our "home-away-from-home" in Nags Head was the Wright Brothers National Monument. If you are in this area, you must visit if only for the historical significance of this place and the impact the Wright Brothers feat has made upon the world.

There are several exhibits to visit that are most interesting and you will see more about them in the following pages. There is also the very place where the first flights ocurred. Perhaps the most striking visual is the Wright Brothers Monument. Erected in 1932 it is very majestic especially on such a beautiful day as I experienced.

If you are staying in this area, go early to visit this site as your entrance fee of $5 per person is good for seven days and allows you to visit more than once if you so choose.

If you wonder why there are so many pictures contained here of the monument, it is because you can drive all the way around and from every angle you're provided with a great photo opportunity, so that's my excuse for presenting so many pics and I honestly could not eliminate any of them!

State & National Pride...

This is the sight as you stand outside the Visitors Center that also contains a small theatre featuring an approximately 1/2 hour film on this historical place and event. As I was alone and on my way up the coast to see the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, I chose not to wait for the next showing.

In the picture you see here, just to the right is the strip where the first flights took place. Ahead and to the left you see an additional exhibit area and in the background is the Wright Brothers Monument. The flag adds to the panorama.

Anyone Care to Book a Flight?

This is a replica of the original plane inside the Visitors Center along with other artifacts and information relating to the events that transpired here!

One fact that I found quite interesting is the vast amount of skepticism that the Wrights encountered even after their success in achieving flight. For instance, some two years and several planes later they offered their flyer to the U.S. Army who was so dubious of their accomplishments that they refused to even meet with them! Tsk, Tsk!

I wish now that I had returned to spend more time but hopefully will have the opportunity to return someday... Maybe I'll see you there! :-)

• Pros:Very Interesting and Historical
  • Cons:I Needed More Time
  • In a nutshell:A Must See for All Aviation Fans!
  • Last visit to Kill Devil Hills: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2005

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2006 at 12:46 PM

What an interesting place, the hills look very nice, too!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 4:07 PM

Great tips!

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 4:28 PM

I enjoy a lot to learn about your pages, and learning more and more as I'm going through your statements! Yep, the South remains to me the most beautiful spot!!! Thank you for stopping by. Maria

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 4:17 PM

Very brave men, the Wright brothers, to have had such conviction in their ideas. Great photos Steve, including the one of you in the car mirror, (~_--)interesting page, thank you!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 8:27 PM

Definitely going here. Thanks for the great page and advice/tips. Ferd

• Toja's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 8:33 PM

I, sort of, remember it all better now ;-)

NC_Ziggy

“Dancing Madly Backwards on a Sea of Air”

Badges & Stats in Kill Devil Hills

Have you been to Kill Devil Hills?

Latest Activity in Kill Devil Hills