"Best Known Lighthouse... That Got Up & Went!" Cape Hatteras State Park by NC_Ziggy
Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 19 photos
Just off the coast of Hatteras Island lies the most dangerous area of the Atlantic Ocean known as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic". This is the place where the Gulf Stream collides with the Virgina Drift which is a tributary of the Labrador Current from far away Canada. This confluence attempts to drive ships into a treacherous 12 mile long sand bar called "Diamond Shoals". In this especially, but including other parts of the Outer Banks over 600 documented shipwrecks have occurred during the course of history... who knows how many others?
Construction began on the Hatteras Lighthouse in 1868. It stands 210 feet tall from base to pinnacle and it's beacon can be seen 24 nautical miles at sea. It sits on an octogon shaped brick and granite base and is the tallest brick lighthouse in the U.S. It's daymarkings of two black & white graduated stripes make it one of the most recognizable lighthouses to this very day.
Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Hatteras Lighthouse is its own rescue from the ravages of the same sea that it worked so long to provide direction and safety to mariners. In 1999, it was moved from its seaside location to the present position as the encroaching ocean threatened to topple it. It took 23 days to move it approximately 3,000 feet. Ironically, the place where it formerly resided is now under water...
If you go to the Outer Banks, no trip would be complete without a glimpse of this historically and still important fixture of the North Carolina coast!
- Pros:A Must See!
- Cons:Only if you don't like walking up stairs...
- In a nutshell:Everyone needs their own picture of this!
Good News... Bad News... Depending on how you view it, of course! This was the end of our ferry travel. We would be... more travel advice
Yep, you guessed it... More ferry time! However, this trip is much shorter (only 40 minutes) and its free! Here you... more travel advice
NC_Ziggy's Related Pages
Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Known Lighthouse... That Got Up & Went!"
- "Main goal was to see the Light House"
- "Cape hattteras North Carolina - AKA OBX"
- "GATEWAY TO THE SEA ...... FREEDOM!"
- "Cape Hatteras with its Lighthouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Hatteras State Park
- Transportation in Cape Hatteras State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Hatteras State Park
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Cape Hatteras State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Hatteras State Park
Photos in Cape Hatteras State ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 26 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 47 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hickory Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nags Head Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manteo Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Irvine Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Davenport Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues