"The Sunshine City!" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by NC_Ziggy

Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 318 reviews and 756 photos

Sun, Fun, & Dali, Oh My!

Greetings from the Sunshine State! Special Greetings from the friendly confines of St. Petersburg! No, not that one... THIS one... St. Petersburg, Florida, the Sunshine City! Although this city is the 4th largest in the state of Florida, it is perhaps over-shadowed by its larger and better known neighbor, Tampa- just to the north connected in minutes by the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Perhaps that is because Tampa has the larger airport but that only makes a visit to St. Pete much easier! Good for You!

St. Petersburg, though a commercial center, maintains a simple charm and feel of a small town while providing all the amenities that you could want from great hotels, museums, dining, sports and family activities! My visit was all too brief as I was there on business, but St. Pete left a lasting impression and calls me back again... I hope to answer her call, and so should you!

St. Petersburg was first home to the Timucuan tribe of native Americans who were visited in the 16th century by Spanish explorers. Finding no gold or riches, it was left virtually untouched until the 19th century when farmers settled there. Its name was chosen by a native Russian speculator, Peter Demens, who was born in the other and slightly colder St. Petersburg. :-) Today, the warmer St. Petersburg provides an ultimate destination on Florida's gulf coast known for its friendly atmosphere and sunny climate. See Below!

St. Petersburg holds the Guinness Book of World Records title for the greatest number of consecutive sunny days... 768! Looking for sun? I think you just found your place! Add to that a climate where average temperatures range in the 70's (21C) for six months of the year to 80's (26C) in three and 90's (32C) in the three summer months with comfortable low temperatures throughout the year! Interested yet? Care for a peek? Here's the livecam look at St. Petersburg! LiveCam!

As mentioned, my visit here was all too brief, but another reason for posting this page was a memorable stay with a dear friend and former co-worker who happened to grow up in this place, returned to purchase her former home, and transform it into the only AAA Four Diamond Bed & Breakfast facility on Florida's Gulf Coast! Please visit the Hotel Tips for an amazing place to stay, enjoy the hospitality of St. Petersburg and the even more amazing hospitality of Martha & Bob Bruce, Inn-keepers of the Sunset Bay Inn!

A footnote on these pages... The pictures displayed are not my own as I did not have the time or opportunity to take them, though I did have some time to drive about and walk around the city... All are borrowed from the official website of the City of St. Petersburg and the Sunset Bay Inn. I should mention that no copyrights were evident or mentioned for any of the photos used. The website for the City of St. Petersburg is Official Website for the City of St. Petersburg

• Intro Updated Mar 4, 2005

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 9:25 PM

I have St Pete Pages now. You may visit. I owe you a one on my "Warnings and Dangers." Long Story, sigh...

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 6:36 PM

Hi you!!! Looking forward to Toronto!!

• Maline's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM

Wow, you really got some amazing pictures here. The sunset - that's so pretty!! And one of my strongest memories from Florida is ... yes, the thunderstorms!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM

Nice page esp since we are having a horrible week of weather - particularly liked your last warnings of danger!!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 6:50 AM

Nice page! Greetings!

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2005 at 2:29 PM

Thank you for a nice info about american Piter:)

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 8:13 AM

hey - they're building a new Dali museum soon - - let's hope its as good as the old! i love how the museum is right on the water.

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 8:19 PM

Greatest number of consecutive sunny days?!! This is where I need to be! Thanks for that interesting bit-o-info EXCELLENT & informative tips you have here too - Thanks! :) Susan

• Apr 17, 2005 at 5:46 PM

Steve! Glad you find St. Pete's as charming as I do (been here many a'times as my Dad used to live here) - Hey if you need a sappy violin player for the pier, hire me ;-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 2:40 PM

Looks like you had a great stay at that B&B. Beautiful waterfront. I'm ready for the para sailing. Let's go!!

NC_Ziggy

“Dancing Madly Backwards on a Sea of Air”

Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?

Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg