"Amersfoort" Top 5 Page for this destination Amersfoort by Niekie
Amersfoort Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 339 photos
Amersfoort has its origin in a small settlement at a ford of the river Eem, or Amer. Being in the geographical centre of the Netherlands it became an important commercial hub and in 1259 received cityrights.
As a thriving Hanze city Amersfoort built city walls for protection. Later, the remains of those walls were incorporated in the houses that were built in its stead. These 'Muurhuizen' are still in use and are probably unique in termes of urban development.
Another unique house in Amersfoort is the 'Mannenzaal'. Here you can still see how people lived in an earlier time. It comprices of a large hall where men had small niches to sleep, sit and eat in. They received board and lodging and lived by the rules of the guesthouse in exchange for giving up all of their belongings on admission.
- In a nutshell:Unique medieval town
Amersfoort hosts the biggest free outdoor Jazzfestival in the Netherlands. Throughout the old city centre there are... more travel advice
Amersfoort used to be renowned for its many quality beer breweries. Now only one brewery is left, De Drie Ringen (The... more travel advice
Niekie's Related Pages
Amersfoort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amersfoort The city of monuments"
- "Amersfoort, old fortified town in the middle of NL"
- "Amersfoort, a pleasurable place"
- "The Stone City"
- "Amersfoort (Keistad)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amersfoort
- Hotels in Amersfoort
- Transportation in Amersfoort
- Nightlife in Amersfoort
- Restaurants in Amersfoort
- Shopping in Amersfoort
- Warnings and Dangers in Amersfoort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amersfoort
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Amersfoort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amersfoort
Photos in AmersfoortSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Scotland Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Lithuania 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Turkey Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amersfoort Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Cologne Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Beijing Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Brunssumerheide Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Ephesus Intro, 1 review, 4 photos