"Niekie's Travels" Niekie's Profile
My inspiration for travelling comes from a desire to discover new places. I want to learn about the world first hand and for that, one must go out and explore! But when I lack the time and money to go, I satisfy myself with exploring the world through my computer. A few years ago, I was researching an upcoming trip when I stumbled across VT. Since then it has become one of my favourite sources for making travelplans.
When I travel I want every part of the journey to be an experience. My choices for mode of transportation, the route, or places to sleep and eat, are determined by how much they allow me to experience a country the way it really is. For instance, you can sit in a tourbus and let yourself be taken from highlight to highlight, but I would rather drive myself and make a detour through a small village, or take a bus or train for some interaction with locals. This is when unexpected things happen and when you get to meet new people and for me, that's what travelling is all about.
For me travelling has to be active. To stand by the shore of a lake and think it is beautiful is all very well, but I would rather get in a swimsuit and into the water, or get on a boat and feel the waves. Looking at a mountain can be rewarding enough for some, but I would be eager to climb the giant and see the world from its peak.
Besides nature I like to learn about the history of a country. Before I go, I read as much as I can about the events that have made a country to what it is today. If you know the stories behind it, visiting a church, monestary, castle, or other historical site will be much more rewarding.
The best trips also involve visiting a few quaint little museums, small cosy pubs, and the tasting of local specialties. And after that, it's time for nightlife!
My ultimate dream (I guess I’m a bit of a romantic) would be to take a big 4WD car and drive from the Netherlands, through Eastern Europe, the Ural, and Siberia to Kamtchatka and then back through China, Mongolia, the "Stan's" in Central Asia, and then via Turkey back to the Netherlands again.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 55 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Niekie and lazyman_1 are now friends.
- Posted in Travel North Korea Forum "Re: Looking for travel companions"
- Commented on one of jasmine_ding's Xi'an travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hire a bike about Bicycles in Beijing Transportation
- created a Listvyanka Travel Page "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- Uploaded a Photo to "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
updated their Profile Page "Niekie's Travels"
Top 10 Pages
- Scotland Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Lithuania 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Turkey Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amersfoort Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Cologne Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Beijing Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Brunssumerheide Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Ephesus Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos