"M A C A U" Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau by dejavu2gb
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide: 735 reviews and 2,527 photos
The first settlers that came to Macau were Farmers from Guangdong and Fishermen from Fujian. Then it was still known as Ou Mun meaning "Trading Gate", it was given this name because of its location close to the Pearl River.
Macau is a very small country and only covers 27,3 sq.km and cosists of only 461,000 residents. Chinese make up 95% of this figure with the remaining 5% from either Portugese or Eurpean desent.
Being a former Portugese colony, official languages are Portugese and Chinese, and many streets and places will have a Portugese name.
Its also only an hour's ferry ride away from Hong Kong, so make sure you visit Macau, even if its just for a day, its great!
On a recent trip to Hong Kong, we were advised to visit this small lovely little country which used to be a former Portugese Colony.
Known to many as the "Las Vegas of the East", Macau is a very popular destination amongst the Chinese who go there frequently to go and do some gambling, as its legal, where its not legal in Hong Kong and China.
I always imagined it would be a small village, but its actually quite the opposite, its a rather large city on a small piece of land.
Just like Hong Kong its got a lovely vibe to it, and a great atmosphere. Although its not completely similar to Hong Kong, I cannot quite explain why, but I did find it very different in many ways, but all in a very appealing way.
Its also got more scooters than I have ever seen in my life, if you should visit you will see what I am talking about.
Thanks for visiting my page, and I hope you find it very useful with good tips and nice pictures. Apologies for the quality of the pictures as they are not the best of quality, this was due to bad weather we had when we visited. (The pictures on the intro page are photos of posters I saw when I went up the Macau Tower, so I cannot take full credit for them)
- Pros:Worth paying this tiny little country a visit.
- In a nutshell:The Las Vegas of the East.
Just a another quick tip that is quite relevant. When travelling to Macau from Hong Kong, you need not change your... more travel advice
One of the many ways of getting around Macua is on one of these buses, they are quite small and only take like 15... more travel advice
dejavu2gb's Related Pages
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M A C A U - more than just casinos"
- "Macau Challenge"
- "M A C A U"
- "Revisiting an old friend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concelho de Macau
- Hotels in Concelho de Macau
- Transportation in Concelho de Macau
- Nightlife in Concelho de Macau
- Restaurants in Concelho de Macau
- Shopping in Concelho de Macau
- Warnings and Dangers in Concelho de Macau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concelho de Macau
- 15 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Concelho de Macau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concelho de Macau
Photos in Concelho de MacauSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 53 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Graz Intro, 28 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 92 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 68 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reading Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos