"M A C A U" Top 5 Page for this destination Concelho de Macau by dejavu2gb

Concelho de Macau Travel Guide: 735 reviews and 2,527 photos

About Macau...

The first settlers that came to Macau were Farmers from Guangdong and Fishermen from Fujian. Then it was still known as Ou Mun meaning "Trading Gate", it was given this name because of its location close to the Pearl River.

Macau is a very small country and only covers 27,3 sq.km and cosists of only 461,000 residents. Chinese make up 95% of this figure with the remaining 5% from either Portugese or Eurpean desent.
Being a former Portugese colony, official languages are Portugese and Chinese, and many streets and places will have a Portugese name.
Its also only an hour's ferry ride away from Hong Kong, so make sure you visit Macau, even if its just for a day, its great!

From the author...

On a recent trip to Hong Kong, we were advised to visit this small lovely little country which used to be a former Portugese Colony.
Known to many as the "Las Vegas of the East", Macau is a very popular destination amongst the Chinese who go there frequently to go and do some gambling, as its legal, where its not legal in Hong Kong and China.
I always imagined it would be a small village, but its actually quite the opposite, its a rather large city on a small piece of land.
Just like Hong Kong its got a lovely vibe to it, and a great atmosphere. Although its not completely similar to Hong Kong, I cannot quite explain why, but I did find it very different in many ways, but all in a very appealing way.
Its also got more scooters than I have ever seen in my life, if you should visit you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks for visiting my page, and I hope you find it very useful with good tips and nice pictures. Apologies for the quality of the pictures as they are not the best of quality, this was due to bad weather we had when we visited. (The pictures on the intro page are photos of posters I saw when I went up the Macau Tower, so I cannot take full credit for them)

Pros and Cons
  • Pros:Worth paying this tiny little country a visit.
  • In a nutshell:The Las Vegas of the East.
  • Last visit to Concelho de Macau: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2006
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Reviews (15)

Comments (19)

  • PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 7:28 AM

    Hi Gareth, very nice info, as usual :-) Weet jy al wat jy Desember gaan doen?

  • Loops's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM

    Great Macau pages - I'm hoping to go soon so it's really useful to read travel info like yours - cheers

  • Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM

    There is no way in this world I would ever step on that glass floor and look down in that tower!! Oh, my God!! You'd be carrying me out in a straight jacket!! :-)

  • RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 12:12 PM

    So great to read about Macau, thanks for share, you did wonderful job, greetzzz RoyJava

  • Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 3:29 PM

    Missed out on seeing Macau when in Hong Kong, went to the island with the big Buddha instead. Someday we will go back.....

  • Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 7:28 AM

    EXCELLENT page this... like your style ;) How are you? Jen x

  • b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 4:57 PM

    Nice coverage of Macau. Portugal should have held onto it.

  • Wann's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2005 at 8:55 AM

    Nice page ! many useful tips !! The intro page "From the author" is very thoughtful !...

  • traveldave's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 5:50 PM

    I didn't have enough time to take a trip to Macau when I was in HK. Next time I'm in HK (I hope!), I'll have to get there. Looks like an interesting place, and I'd sure like that stamp in my passport.

  • Confucius's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 1:49 AM

    The Macau Tower somehow reminds me of the tower attraction in Las Vegas.

dejavu2gb

“So many pages in my passport that need loads of stamps on em!”

Online Now

Male

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 4 2 6
Forum Rank:
0 2 2 8 5

Badges & Stats in Concelho de Macau

  • 15 Reviews
  • 29 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 3,040PageViews
  • 0 Cities

Have you been to Concelho de Macau?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Concelho de Macau

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (4)