Munich Things to Do Tips by claudia1975
Munich Things to Do: 1,818 reviews and 3,166 photos
So many people have already posted about Marienplatz, Oktoberfest etc. - all the things Munich is really famous for. This tip only reflect my view and is a list of "must's" and "not a must" if you are in Munich for lets say 3 days.
- go to a beer garden (in summer). Order a "Schweinshaxen" (baked pigs leg) or a "Steckerlfisch" (large crispy BBQed fish) or bring your own food and try Bavarian beer
- in winter go to a Augustiner or Paulaner beer drinking hall. Locations can be found in the internet.
- visit MUSTS: Viktualienmarkt, Old Peter, German museum, English Garden (only if weather is nice) and stroll through the pedestrian zones, one of the art museums - especially "Alte Pinakothek"
- if you are there during December visit the wonderful, enchanting Christmas-Market (huge) at the Theresienwiesn, where the Oktoberfest is usually located. You can easily spend 3 hours there.
- in summer take on day to spend it on a pretty alpine lake (see off the beaten path tips)
-stroll down (to the north) the Leopoldstrasse - start at "Odeonsplatz" - Leopoldstr. has many nice bars, cafes, restaurants - some a little pricy, but worth it to watch some real rich Munich people.
- Hofbraeuhaus is not neccessary
- Olympic park (if you are not a great fan of architecture) is a pretty loneley area if not in summer or during events / concerts
- bying strange souvenirs like hats, beer-drinking mugs or stuff like that. Be sure: it is all produced in China!
This is something I discovered only 2 years after I had already been living in this city.
Go to the Marienplatz. Stand in the middle of it. Look towards the book store "Hugendubel" (you cannot miss it) and then look up to the sky. Somewhere quite close you can see the copper green roof of a chruch tower.
This church tower is called "alter Peter" and for only one Euro you can walk up many stairs to go to the top. (they dont have a lift). It is soooo worth it - especially on a sunny day you have a wonderful viel all over downtown Munich including the English garden, the river Isar, the german museum etc etc - it is a great first thing to tdo to get oriented in this city and to see, how close the downtown attractions are to each other. Dont miss it!
Address: In between Marienplatz and Viktualienmarket
Directions: From Marienplatz enter the street which starts directly to the left of the book store Hugendubel. After a few meters You will see a small street to the left - it is at the corner. Look for the tower w. green roof.
More Reviews (48)
- Maybe a no-go at night
- See All A great little breakfast cafe
- See All IKEA - furniture and more ...
- See All Blade Night Munich
- See All Free Museums on Sunday
claudia1975's Related Pages
Munich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
- "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- "The Big Village"
- "Munich - my current hometown"
- "Munich and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munich
- Hotels in Munich
- Transportation in Munich
- Nightlife in Munich
- Restaurants in Munich
- Shopping in Munich
- Warnings and Dangers in Munich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munich
- 50 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Munich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munich
Photos in MunichSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Munich Intro, 50 reviews, 40 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Washington State Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Iceland Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Mainau Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Vienna Intro, 3 reviews
- Konstanz Intro, 3 photos
- Wuda Intro, 3 photos
- Alaska Intro, 2 photos
- Dachau - Concentration Camp- 65 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Marienplatz- 123 Reviews, 185 Photos
- Oktoberfest- 71 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Viktualienmarkt- 48 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Englischer Garten- 93 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Frauenkirche- 84 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Olympiapark & Olympiastadion- 83 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Schloss Nymphenburg- 100 Reviews, 255 Photos
- Residenz- 79 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Deutsches Museum- 43 Reviews, 94 Photos
See All Munich Things to Do