"The Adventure Continues" Drob's Profile

This is my second go around in the country of Afghanistan. I was deployed here for 6 months last year. This time will be for at least 1 year. It has been a challenge being away from family and friends.

The job we are doing here is very rewarding. The people are hard working and devoted to their country. The landscape is very beautiful and diverse. It is unlike any place on earth I have ever been before. I will post photos as time permits.

Downtown Kabul

Ah... downtown Kabul. Anybody who has ever been here will know what I am talking about. It is a magical and bizarre place. There is so much hustle and bustle going on, you'd think you were in NYC.

DO NOT think that you can just leisurely drive through this city! To ensure there is a next ime, you must remain alert and constantly be looking out for everyone and everything. The rules of the road are much different here than probably anywhere else on earth. Pedestrians with the right of way...I don't think so. Whoever has the biggest vehicle has the right of way. Sad, but true.

Another thing to watch out for are the street vendors. Appearing from nowhere, these vendor and their carts will tye up traffic for several minutes. Drivers in Kabul will honk their horns at EVEYTHING. It is almost comical. I think they also import some special kind of horn. They sound like a cross be tween an 18 wheeler and old time circus organ - very loud and obnxious.

The Locals

The people are truly what make Afghanistan. They are a resourceful lot that can tackle anything. I have seen a chunk of metal rod turn into a new tie-rod right before my eyes.

National pride is everywhere. As evident from the recent Presidental elections. Afghans citizens were willing to risk everything for the chance to vote. The rest of the world could take notes on that. "My vote doesn't count"...that lame excuse didn't work here! Everyone in the U.S. that didn't vote should be ashamed of themselves.

Democracy isn't free, the cost is just different for each of us.

• Intro Updated Nov 15, 2004

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Thank you for your service - it means so much!!! Stay safe.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 6:55 PM

Happy Birthday to you and enjoy your weekend.:-)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM

hi! thanks for dropping by. why don'y you write me first and get the ball rolling? :))

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 8:40 PM

Awww I think your stay in Indy is over and I'm just getting your question. So did you find any good restaurants in Indy? There are So many!

• Jan 17, 2006 at 2:24 PM

She is not your girlfriend! :)

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2005 at 1:15 PM

Happy birthday! I hope you are staying safe and thanks for your service to America!

• Travel2write's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2005 at 4:51 AM

Brother If you are still over there? Keep your hopes up, your head down, and stay safe! Paradise awaits your return! T2W

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for your work there, Captain! Take care and watch out for yourself... Best Wishes from North Carolina & Welcome to VT! ;-)

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 11:35 PM

Good home page. My office is a nice location in summer but in winter it can be a bit of a problem.

• Yubert's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 7:08 PM

Nice pics! Welcome to VT!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Drob's Profile Photo

Drob

“Make it Happen”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.