"Coyoacán - Place of the Coyotes" Coyoacán by AnnaLupilla
Coyoacán Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 144 photos
Inhabitants of this area on the southern banks of Texcoco belonged ethnically to the Tecpanecas. They were farmers as well as lapidary artists, specialised in the cutting of volcanic rocks, which they obtained from a nearby stony tract formed by the eruption of Xitle volcano centuries ago.
Cortes established in Coyoacan the first City Hall in the Valley of Mexico. He is also known to have had a house here, but little was left of it. Remains of his house were taken to the City Hall, which then became known as ?Casa de Cortes?, even though it was built in 1755.
Some buildings from viceroyal period are still standing in Coyoacan, but most of the country residences, mansions and rustic adobe houses match with 19th century styles, and more than two are replicas constructed during the 20th century. Neighbors and local authorities, however, have worked hard to preserve this neighborhood?s appearance of ?being frozen in time?, which includes its myths and anecdotes, that range from apparition stories to incidents involving internationally famous personalities of arts and politics who have lived in this neighborhood.
If we add the huge range of cultural, gastronomic, shopping and entertainment possibilities it offers, then Coyoacan becomes one of the most fascinating places in this city. It is inconceiveable not to come here.
Content to be added soon - I swear. Right now I am just uploading tips to have the topic completed and step by step... more travel advice
AnnaLupilla's Related Pages
Coyoacán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of Coyotes"
- "Coyoacan - Frida Kahlo's home town"
- "Coyoacán - Place of the Coyotes"
- "Coyoacan - More than just Frida's House"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coyoacán
- Transportation in Coyoacán
- Nightlife in Coyoacán
- Restaurants in Coyoacán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coyoacán
- 17 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Coyoacán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coyoacán
Top 10 Pages
- Nürnberg Intro, 389 reviews, 267 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 132 reviews, 16 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mazatlán Intro, 63 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hamburg Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puebla de Zaragoza Intro, 33 reviews, 2 travelogues
- Kirchensittenbach Intro, 30 reviews
- Morelia Intro, 28 reviews