"Beirut... Which category?" Beirut by Cham
Beirut Travel Guide: 924 reviews and 1,814 photos
Beirut is a very strange place. One minute you are staring across the mediterranean sea walking along the corniche wondering why the McDonalds has Valet parking... people jogging whilst still managing to still look like they have just come out of a salon... the next minute you are in Hamra with shops selling everything from food, to the latest fashions and the area is so built up and full of traffic that you could be in a completely different part of the country... You walk a little further and end up in downtown, pedestrianised... so you hear no traffic... but the area is swarming with people. There are more shops here, restaurants, cafe's, bars nightclubs... and you see everyone enjoying themselves from every generation.... family is very important here.
Beirut is one of those places that has so much history and yet manages to retain this alongside the rennovated areas. You can still see the remains of the Holiday Inn from the Civil war. Yet this building is towering over the pheonicia and the Monroe hotels at the end of the street that look as though they were built yesterday. (In fact the monroe was only completed in the last few months because it wasn't yet finished when i was there in march, but is in full of life now)
Beirut turns an average photographer into a professional as it adds so much life to the photos.
People think of the middle east and they think of muslim countries with strict rules... Lebanon however is a country that manages to create a kind of harmony between christianity and islam. Mosques and Cathedrals stand side by side all over the country but the examples in the downtown area are the most striking.
- Pros:People, Food, Culture, Atmosphere, weather, Shopping, nightlife,
- Cons:Can be addictive
- In a nutshell:The kind of place that i would tell everyone about... but its *MY* secret!!
The room was very comfortable with a little balcony overlooking the street, the staff were very friendly and would do... more travel advice
The food here is really good, no wonder it's always busy... the place is a very casual atmosphere and you can pretty... more travel advice
Cham's Related Pages
Beirut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beirut - بيروت"
- "Home sweet home :-)"
- "**********MY HOME**********"
- "Beyrouth - the capital of Lebanon"
- "Beirut -a phoenix risen from the ashes"
- "BEIRUT - Independent - Free and - United"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beirut
- Hotels in Beirut
- Transportation in Beirut
- Nightlife in Beirut
- Restaurants in Beirut
- Shopping in Beirut
- Warnings and Dangers in Beirut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beirut
- 7 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 75 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Beirut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beirut
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 110 reviews, 107 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lebanon Intro, 23 reviews, 7 photos
- Madrid Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Berlin Intro, 12 reviews, 3 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Beirut Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Tripoli Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
- Brentwood Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- Baalbeck Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo