"My World" Cham's Profile

Me Myself and I

When I first started travelling I began to photograph everything around me so that I could keep a memory of the places I'd been, eventually photography has become as much as part of my life as travelling.

I've met many great people here on VT over the years and many of which I still keep in contact with/go and visit on a regular basis. I do come back to have a look at what's going on in VT every once in awhile but I have to admit I'm not as active on here as I once was, so my apologies in advance if you don't get a reply from me immediately.

There's so many places in the world to travel to just not enough years in my life to do them all!

VT Origins: Cham

My family from various places in the world which is why I can pretty much pass as a local in many countries. Contrary to popular belief on VT, I'm not lebanese, I'm not even middle eastern, I'm just intrigued by the region and hope to move there one day.

Dubai and Lebanon are two of my favourite places in the world to visit, which is why i've been to each of these so many times.

I'm pretty sure that no one will be able to guess what my background is... but there are at least 5 parts to it

I started travelling when...

in 2004 I realised the value of having a British passport. London being one the most multi-cultural cities in the world I've met loads of people who cannot travel to certain other countries just because of the passport and that made me realise i was not going to waste the opportunity that i have.

So i travel lots, many people where i'm from don't like to travel far or just go to places to be with other english people... to me, the less chance i have of meeting people who live anywhere near me the better. I don't understand why some people want to spend all that money to go to a place to live exactly the same life but with sunshine... no sir not me... when i'm travelling i normally plonk myself straight in the middle of all the locals where people find it hard to talk English, scary for some but for me I'm interested in other languages.

My Photography

As mentioned in the first chapter I really started photographing everything around me when I was travelling, from this I've moved into other areas of photography not just travel. I am mainly a fashion photographer and have met loads of other great photograhers/models on my travels.

My work can be seen on my site.

www.projecthalo.co.uk

My Languages

I used to really hate having to learn other languages... like most English, i didn't see the point. But I learned that learning a little language goes a long way. Things that you say in other languages just can't be said in english and knowing another language makes it easier to meet other people.

At present I'm re-learning arabic (it's been awhile since I really sat down and made myself study) and I'm also trying to re-learn spanish as I haven't spoken it for a few years and now have trouble getting languages confused.

Two languages on my list to learn are Russian and Japanese, but that's a few years down the line yet.

Scuba Diving

Recently I became a PADI certified scuba diver, and my first experience of open water was in the UAE. There's a whole new world under the sea and honestly it really changes you how you view the world once back on dry land.

After that experience I'm hooked on diving and most of my trips later this year will have to have good dive sites!

Music

Music is as much a part of my life as any other activity I do. I play many instruments including guitar, bass, berimbau etc but if i'm not playing an instrument, i'm singing, if i'm not singing, i'm listening to music, if I'm not listening to music then i'm tapping a tune on what ever I can find.

Martial Arts

To complete my artistic ventures I've been taking lessons in various martial arts. I started Karate (ishinryu and shotokan) When I was very young.

In January 2006 I started to learn a traditional style of T'ai Chi Chuan (Yang family, Yes that's the Long Form). Now i still train but by myself as the gym holding classes closed in 2008.

In Nov 2006 I began learning Capoeira, a brasilian Martial art set to music that looks like a dance. I've met some great people around the world because of this and this is the main form of martial art I do at the moment.

November 2008 I began learning Filipino Martial arts involving stick and knife fighting. Its so quick and really fast to pick up and I continue to do this at the same time as capoeira.

• Intro Updated Jul 2, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!