"Mt. Rainier National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rainier National Park by chewy3326

Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 520 photos

Sentinel of the Northwest

Mt. Rainier is probably the most dominating peak in all of the Northwest; from Seattle, it's visible, and from inside the park itself, it dominates. All sides of the mountain are covered with glaciers; in fact, with 25 glaciers on its slopes, Mt. Rainier is the most heavily glaciated peak in the US outside of Alaska. An additional bonus are the waterfalls, meadows, and lakes around the mountain; they make visiting Mt. Rainier an unforgettable experience.

During my visit in late June, there was still about 4-5 feet of snow on the ground at Paradise. This isn't too surprising, since Paradise has recieved up to 93 feet of snow a year before. However, this made it impossible for us to hike the Skyline Trail, which I had planned on hiking. However, despite the excessive snow, the weather was good for most of the week that we spent in the park, except for the last two days, when it snowed in mid-summer at Sunrise.

Glacier-capped wonder

This photo shows many of Mt. Rainier's glaciers. It was taken near Paradise.

After my experience of Mt. Rainier, I would recommend at least a 2-3 day visit, no less. Must visit areas include Sunrise, Paradise, and White River. If you don't hike at all at Mt. Rainier, you've missed the entire point of the park, so do the scenery some courtesy, get out of your car, and enjoy it.

If I ever visit Mt. Rainier again, some things are certain: I'm coming later in the year, probably around Mid-July, when I can actually hike most of the trails. Also, I'm going to visit the Mowich Lake section, since I've head the scenery there is really amazing.

• Pros:Good trail system and scenery
  • Cons:Bad roads in Carbon River corner
  • Last visit to Mount Rainier National Park: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2005

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM

inspiring views

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 6:32 AM

Stunning scenery, beautiful waterfalls. I also wonder what that animal might be called. Excellent photographs and useful tips for all potential hikers.

• AyurinHiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 1:16 AM

Hi! Wow, the Paradise Inn looks so nice! The sceneries from there are magnificent! Thank you very much for visiting our Sun Moon Lake (Taiwan) page :-)

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 11:11 AM

WOW! Next time I make it to Seattle, I'll visit Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park... last time I only made it to Renton, WA to see Jimi Hendrix grave.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Great photos! BTW, the view from Fremont is spectacular if the weather is cooperating. :) Looks like you hit all the areas of the park though, and had pretty nice weather. Great page!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2006 at 4:41 AM

Great page! I worked at the Paradise Inn long time and had the chance to enjoy lots the hikes!

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 6:39 PM

Thank you for visiting my WA pages. Your photos are amazing! Rainier is a beautiful mountain and park. Best wishes and happy travels.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM

You had incredible weather! Thanks for a reminder to return to this beautiful area one day. Just gorgeous photos.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 8:34 AM

A very popular Park for many of the reasons that you have ably demonstrated!

chewy3326

“Climb the Mountains and get their good tidings -John Muir”

Badges & Stats in Mount Rainier National Park

Have you been to Mount Rainier National Park?

Friends