"A Thin slice of country" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park by chewy3326
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 534 photos
Few things are like Virginia in the fall- and few Virginia things are like Shenandoah National Park in the fall. Despite its modest size and its lack of sizable wilderness, Shenandoah is one of my favorite American national parks- not only is it my "home" park (I live a half hour away), but every October it puts on a spectacular show of color that can only be described as breathtaking. The park offers incredible scenery on its many hikes; visitors who choose to leave Skyline Drive to hike through the forest to waterfalls and rocky mountaintops won't be disappointed.
I have prepared what I hope you will find to be a comprehensive page on the park, Skyline Drive, and the park's better-known (and a few less well-known) hikes. If there are any Shenandoah hikes that you'd like to know about, tell me and I'll go hike it!
In conjunction with this page, I have begun a standalone blog about Shenandoah.
To make things more convenient for you when you're traveling in the park itself, I've developed a smartphone app for hikes around Charlottesville.
Shenandoah National Park is a thin and long park that stretches from Waynesboro on I-64 to Front Royal on I-66. 100-mile Skyline Drive runs the length of the park, and the park also contains about 105 miles of the Appalachian Trail. The park is divided into three sections: the north, central, and south sections.
Shenanodoah National Park was established during the Great Depression of the 1930's. The Blue Ridge Mountains were originally inhabited, but the state of Virginia helped to relocate and resettle those who lived in the mountains and reforested the land, which is gradually returning to its natural state. Since Congress refused to appropriate funds to purchasing land for the park, the state of Virginia ended bearing the costs and donated the land to the US Government.
Problems with the park? There are tons- for one, the park isn't terribly wild, as it's bounded on one side by the farms of the Piedmont and on the other by the towns in Shenandoah Valley. There are also tons of visitors- on fall weekends, you can expect traffic jams on Skyline Drive! There's also a major smog problem during the summer, when visibility is often very reduced.
To compare the smog in the Blue Ridge at different times, look at this photo from fall....
... and then this one from summer. The sky is probably clearest during winter and fall; often, if you're driving US 29 between Culpeper and Charlottesville, the Blue Ridge Mountains will be visible during those times.
Autumn is generally considered the best season to visit Shenandoah. Fall foliage is spectacular and skies are clear. In winter, trees in the park are bare and beautiful in a different way, with good views through the forest; though snow does beautify the scene. However, after heavy snowfall, Skyline Drive is usually closed (the park receives about 40 inches of snow a year in higher elevations).
A highlight of the park is Old Rag Mountain, a rocky peak that stands separate from the crest of the Blue Ridge that offers an incredible rock scramble and some of the most jaw-dropping views in the state. It is one of my favorite hikes in any national park; if you ever visit the park, consider that hike!
There are some inconsistencies between my oldest tips (written 2004-2006) and my newer tips (written 2011-2012); my views on many things about the park have changed. In some cases, I've updated those things, but I've overlooked plenty of other mistakes; I'd take the older tips with a grain of salt until I get around to fixing them.
Jones Run Falls is accessible by a 3.4-mile round trip trail starting from the Jones Run trailhead. I hiked to this... more travel advice
An enjoyable hike that doesn't require driving on Skyline Drive is the trail to Shenandoah's Furnace Mountain. It's 4.2... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park"
- "Shenandoah National Park, VA"
- "A Thin slice of country"
- "Worth a visit even in a foggy day!"
- "SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK"
- "Shenandoah National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shenandoah National Park
- Hotels in Shenandoah National Park
- Transportation in Shenandoah National Park
- Nightlife in Shenandoah National Park
- Restaurants in Shenandoah National Park
- Shopping in Shenandoah National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Shenandoah National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park
- 55 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park
- updated a Shenandoah National Park Travel Page "A Thin slice of country"
- Wrote a Review Jones Run Falls in Shenandoah National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jones Run Falls"
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "RE: Yosemite to Las Vegas"
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Shenandoah National Park travel pages
Photos in Shenandoah National ParkSee All Photos (118)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Shenandoah National Park hotel reviews
- Skyland Resort
- 663 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Lewis Mountain Campground
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Mathews Arm Campground
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Potomac Appalachian Trail Club Cabins
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 14, 2012
- Big Meadows Campground
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013