"Forever Wild" Top 5 Page for this destination Adirondack State Park by chewy3326
Adirondack State Park Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 153 photos
This was one corner of the eastern American wilderness that I had always dreamed of exploring. I've always looked at this giant chunk of land on road atlases and dreamed of going through this region, one of the few in the east where roads were sparse and where numerous lakes could be found in forested mountains.
I finally did get a chance to visit the Adirondacks, though my exploration of it was limited; I made this trip with some relatives and never got around to seeing the High Peaks region I've wanted to see for much of my life (though this leaves me a good reason to come back.) Most of this page will be dedicated to the region around Old Forge, the Fulton Chain of Lakes, and Blue Mountain Lake.
While eastern America was gradually being settled in the early 19th century, one giant blot in upstate New York was left, at least for a while, most undisturbed. Until the middle of that century, the mountains were unvisited, unknown, and unnamed. However, after Verplanck Colvin's survey of the mountains in the 1870s, it became apparent to the New York legislature that the Adirondacks were something special and had to be saved from encroaching logging and development. So in the early 1870s, the state of New York established the Adirondack Forest Preserve and a little later, Adirondack Park. In 1890, the people of New York voted to add to their constitution an amendment that declared the forests of the Adirondacks encircled by the Blue Line would be "forever wild."
Today, the Blue Line of the Adirondack Park encompasses over 6 million acres, making this park the largest park in the United States outside of Alaska, dwarfing parks such as Yellowstone (2 million acres) and Olympic (1 million acres). However, much of the park land is privately owned; the state of New York only owns a little over 2 million acres. This means that some areas have still seen some of the development that the park was established to avoid. However, little of it detracts from the beauty of this park, which easily outshines anything else I've seen the East offer.
- Pros:It's big! And the mountains are beautiful.
- Cons:A little bit overdeveloped
Seventh and Eighth Lakes are the final (easternmost) of the Fulton Chain of Lakes, a 16-mile long series of eight... more travel advice
Inlet is a small town with a rustic character not far from Old Forge. There's not too much to see here; there's access... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Adirondack State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Central Park for the World"
- "The 'Dacks!"
- "Forever Wild"
- "The High Peaks region"
- "Cabana Boy's Adirondack Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Adirondack State Park
- Hotels in Adirondack State Park
- Transportation in Adirondack State Park
- Nightlife in Adirondack State Park
- Restaurants in Adirondack State Park
- Shopping in Adirondack State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Adirondack State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adirondack State Park
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Adirondack State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adirondack State Park
Photos in Adirondack State ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos