"An Ancient Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Muir Woods National Monument by chewy3326
Muir Woods National Monument Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 113 photos
Muir Woods National Monument is a small natural area of only 550 acres in Redwood Canyon on the slopes of Mt. Tamalpais. The monument has a single highlight: towering, ancient coast redwoods, the Sequoia sempervirens. This is one of the few remaining redwood groves near San Francisco.
The park was formed when a congressman, William Kent, donated this plot of land to the government in 1908 to prevent it from being dammed and flooded. It is named after the famous naturalist John Muir, who helped to save many of America's natural areas in the Sierra Nevada, Pacific Northwest, and Alaska.
The Hillside Trail lies on the opposite (west) bank from the main paved trail in the monument. The scenery here is still... more travel advice
The Bohemian Grove of giant redwoods contains the tallest redwood in the park, a 258-foot tall towering coast sequoia.... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Muir Woods National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Some of the Last Old-Growth Redwoods on Earth"
- "Gateway to the Redwoods"
- "Morning in the Woods"
- "Silence in the Trees"
- "An Ancient Forest"
- "MUIR WOODS NAT'L MONUMENT, CA"
- "Two Roads Diverged in the Wood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muir Woods National Monument
- Hotels in Muir Woods National Monument
- Transportation in Muir Woods National Monument
- Shopping in Muir Woods National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muir Woods National Monument
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Muir Woods National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muir Woods National Monument
- Wrote a Review Hillside Trail in Muir Woods National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hillside Trail"
- created a Muir Woods National Monument Travel Page "An Ancient Forest"
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "RE: Yosemite to Las Vegas"
- Commented on one of shrimp56's Muir Woods National Monument travel pages
Photos in Muir Woods National MonumentSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos