"Subalpine Paradise" Mineral King by chewy3326

Mineral King Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 36 photos

Scenic Valley

Mineral King Valley is spectacular. Surrounded by the 12,000-foot peaks of the Great Western Divide, this valley of forests, meadows, creeks, and lakes is perhaps the most wonderful place I've visited in the Sierra Nevada. The big problem about getting here is a winding, steep, narrow 25-mile road. However, driving the road is really worth the effort, since the scenery of Mineral King is unrivaled in the Southern Sierra. Once you're there, you can hike up to beautiful subalpine lakes.

• Pros:Amazing valley, beautiful lakes
  • Cons:Horrible Road
  • In a nutshell:One of the best places I've visited
  • Last visit to Mineral King: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2005

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Great tips on Mineral King--one of my favorite spots on earth. But did you have to let the cat out of the bag? We surely don't want the place being overrun by tourists! ;) Beautiful pictures, by the way!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2006 at 9:31 AM

Beautiful photos! I'm heading to the Sierras for the first time next month. Can't wait to check it out!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 3:54 PM

What memories came pouring back as I read your tips and looked at your photos. It's been 35 years but I could smell that first thing in the morning crisp alpine air again! Thanks.

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 8:25 PM

Sounds like a pretty cool place, I'd never even heard of it till i saw your page either. Keep on enjoying the outdoors I think it's good for ones mental state to get out into nature as much as possible. haha.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM

Even after four years in California, I've not been to Mineral King. Have to see it somday. Thanks for the tips.

• Jan 23, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Your Eagle Lake photo is stunning, awesome! I remember once seeing a couple of squirrel like animals crawling under the hood of my car in that area. Now I know that it must have been Marmots.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 8:24 AM

Great pictures from a super area. Marmots like to chew on packs, too, but then, so do mountain goats!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 11:10 PM

What a beautiful area. Great info and tips on the hike. Hard going with 3ft of snow though. Marmots are cute but gosh what a pest they are.

chewy3326

“Climb the Mountains and get their good tidings -John Muir”

Badges & Stats in Mineral King

Have you been to Mineral King?

Latest Activity in Mineral King