"Nature has Favorites" Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes by chewy3326
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 499 photos
Mammoth Lakes offers some of the easiest access to some of the best scenery in the Sierra Nevada, if not the world. High elevation trailheads are the starting points for paths to deep blue lakes and lush meadows nestled beneath the sharp, snow-capped peaks of the Eastern Sierra Nevada. Lupine and paintbrush dot the trails and the streamsides under an everblue sky.
Mammoth would be my favorite place in the world now, were it not for its somewhat overcommercialized town, and the crowds that pour through the area (in this aspect, it's not any better than Lake Tahoe or Yosemite Valley).
Our ability this year to access the backcountry in June was mainly because of an abnormally small snowpack, with the Sierra Nevada only recieving 30% of its average snow, after two consecutive years where the snowpack was around 150%.
Our first visit to Mammoth Lakes was a disappointment, not because the scenery there wasn't amazing but because we weren't able to do much of what we originally planned. In the beginning, we planned a two-night stay in Mammoth Lakes with hikes to TJ Lake, Devils Postpile, and Ediza Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. As it happened, 2006 became a year of record snowfall for the Eastern Sierra. Our plans had already been changed before we arrived at Mammoth (from two nights down to one day), but as we later found, even by June 24 much of the area was completely inaccessible. The road to Devils Postpile was still closed (meaning the trailhead to Ediza Lake and the Ansel Adams Wilderness was, too), and we heard in Mammoth that there was still at least 3 feet of snow around Lake George. The Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort was still open, lifts were still running, and there were still hundreds of skiers who packed the parking lots to ski on 8-feet deep snow, in 95-degree Fahrenheit weather three days after the beginning of summer. Crazy.
Still, the area is quite beautiful; we ended up driving the June Lakes Loop instead of hiking, and although that road didn't live up to our expectations, the scenery was still outstanding.
I've visited the city twice now, but there is still much I haven't seen. I haven't hiked up the canyon above Convict Lake, or up past Crystal Lake to the Mammoth Crest; haven't visited McGee Creek, Devil's Postpile, or Rainbow Falls; have yet to hike the John Muir Trail past Shadow Lake and Garnet Lake and see Ediza Lake, or Island Pass. I haven't been up to Duck Pass or Mammoth Pass, although both are easily accessible by trail (or so I'm told). The region offers endless hiking and exploring, and hopefully I can one day return to discover more of it.
- Pros:Hiking in magnificent scenery
- Cons:Commercialized and crowded
I debated for a while whether to put information on this area on this page or my Bishop page; this is just a brief... more travel advice
From Thousand Island Lake, you can retrace your steps a mile back to the junction of the Thousand Island Lake, River,... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Skiing in California"
- "Good skiing but Unreal hiking and climbing"
- "A Great Place in Winter and Summer"
- "Secret of the Sierras"
- "Nature has Favorites"
- "Mammoth Mountain - My home away from home! :)"
- "MAMMOTH - Southern California's Playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mammoth Lakes
- Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
- Transportation in Mammoth Lakes
- Nightlife in Mammoth Lakes
- Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
- Shopping in Mammoth Lakes
- Warnings and Dangers in Mammoth Lakes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mammoth Lakes
- 37 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Mammoth Lakes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mammoth Lakes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos