"Mono Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Lee Vining by chewy3326
Lee Vining Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 312 photos
Mono Lake, a saline, 700,000 year-old body of water that the Mono Basin drains into, is beautiful in a haunting way. Mark Twain called it "The Dead Sea of California"; but in truth, its waters support a large web of life. Once threatened by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, the lake is now rebounding, and for wildlife, life is returning to normal.
From the town of Lee Vining, look west! You can see the jagged peaks of the Sierra Crest. The easiest way to appreciate some of the wildest and most beautiful scenery in California is to drive the Lee Vining Canyon Scenic Byway, which starts at Lee Vining and follows Hwy 120 to Tioga Pass, the entrance of Yosemite National Park.
The Mono Lake Committee Visitor Center is a good place to get some information on Mono Lake from the people who work to... more travel advice
Navy Beach is just east of South Tufa State Reserve, on the southern shore of Mono Lake. This is a nice, pretty place,... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Lee Vining Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Lee Vining ~"
- "Save Mono Lake!"
- "Mono Lake, a recovering endangered ecosystem!"
- "Mono Lake"
- "Base Camp for Eastern Yosemite and Mono Lake"
- "Lee Vining, California."
- "Mono Lake (near the town of Lee Vining)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lee Vining
- Hotels in Lee Vining
- Transportation in Lee Vining
- Restaurants in Lee Vining
- Shopping in Lee Vining
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lee Vining
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Lee Vining?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lee Vining
Photos in Lee ViningSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos