"A grand canyon of a different sort" Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park by chewy3326
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 271 photos
When it comes to American canyons, Grand Canyon gets all the hype: it's the largest, widest, longest. But the deepest canyon in the United States is not cut into an Arizona plateau: instead, it is carved into the granite massif of the Sierra Nevada. Driving the Kings Canyon road from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove is a spectacular journey, with good views around each corner and many waterfalls.
Besides the canyon, there are many other things to do and see, including Grant Grove, where you'll find the third-largest living thing in the world. There's also the High Sierra backcountry (which I didn't visit, but hope to see in the future). There are many good hiking opportunities around Kings Canyon, and if you visit, try to take advantage of it and get out and hike. You'll be amazed at how much the scenery improves once you leave your car.
Much of the park is wilderness; my hope is to someday return to the park, hiking the John Muir Trail.
- In a nutshell:Solitude, nice scenery
Between Bailey Bridge and Mist Falls, the Mist Falls Trail follow the South Fork Kings River. Along the way there are... more travel advice
This road, winding from Grant Grove to Roads End, encompasses some breathtaking scenery. From Grant Grove, the road... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kings Canyon National Park Page"
- "A grand canyon of a different sort"
- "Contiguous Land of Giants"
- "HOME OF THE MOUNTAIN GODS - KCNP"
- "Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort"
- "Takes a little effort to get here"
- "Kings Canyon National Park: Big Trees, Deep Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kings Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Kings Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Kings Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Kings Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Kings Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Kings Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kings Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kings Canyon National Park
- 15 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Kings Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kings Canyon National Park
- updated a Kings Canyon National Park Travel Page "A grand canyon of a different sort"
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Kings Canyon National Park travel pages
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "RE: Yosemite to Las Vegas"
- Wrote a Review Rapids on the Kings River in Kings Canyon National Park Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rapids on the Kings River"
Photos in Kings Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos