"City by the Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaohsiung by chewy3326

Kaohsiung Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 417 photos

Although I've visited Taiwan a couple times, this was the first time I ever went to Kaohsiung. Kaohsiung, with a population approaching 1,500,000, is the second largest city on Taiwan and the largest port in the Republic of China. Kaohsiung was formerly the third-largest port in the world, but since then, it's dominance has declined; today it is retains a respectable position of sixth or seventh. Kaohsiung also boasts a remarkable skyline comparable with Taipei's. Kaohsiung has the Tuntex Skyscraper, one of the tallest buildings in Asia.

I did not spend very much time in Kaohsiung (I came in the afternoon of July 31 and left the morning of August 1) but I found it an interesting city that I would like to revisit someday.

Kaohsiung was originally named Dagou, for the aboriginal tribe that inhabited the area. Later the aboriginals left and the Chinese came, renaming the area Kaohsiung (高雄).

There are many things I dislike about Kaohsiung, including its food (too sweet), its politics, its weather, and its traffic. Still, I find it a place worth visiting.

• Last visit to Kaohsiung: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2006

Comments

chewy3326

“Climb the Mountains and get their good tidings -John Muir”

Badges & Stats in Kaohsiung

Have you been to Kaohsiung?

Latest Activity in Kaohsiung