"Smoggy City" Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung by chewy3326
T'ai-chung Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 286 photos
Taichung translates to "Tai center", Tai referring to Taiwan, but a much better translation would come out as "the city at the foot of the mountains with so much smog you can't even see them". Which is true; even though mountains up to 700-800 meters high are directly east of Taichung, you can never see them.
But anyways. Taichung is a relatively nice city, with plenty of good restaurants and some sights very worth seeing. This page will cover places not only in the city of Taichung, but also throughout Taichung Xien (Taichung County). The city of Taichung itself has a population a little over 1,000,000, making it the third largest city in Taiwan after Taipei and Kaohsiung. Although it may not be totally visible, Taichung is situated in a basin, with low hills to the north and west, and rather tall mountains to the east and south.
Taichung also has some interesting night markets, as well as Taiwan's best fine arts and science museums. Eating in Taichung is also good, the city having some of Taiwan's best food (including stinky tofu) In Taichung County, there's plenty more to see, including the village of Wufeng (Wufong), which was heavily damaged by the Jiji Earthquake on September 21, 1999.
The Zhongyang (Central) Mountains lie just east of the city, blocking a good amount of the many typhoons that strike Taiwan annually. Usually, Taiwan will see around six typhoons in a year, none of which will majorly effect Taichung. The 3000-meter peaks east of the city force typhoons to change path and make landfall further south (Taitung) or further north (Ilan), meaning that in Taichung there usually won't be high winds or heavy rain. Still, the advent of a typhoon will usually bring enough rain to clear away the heavy smog that hangs over the city (Clear weather like that usually doesn't last for more than a few hours after a typhoon leaves Taiwan; when it happens, get your camera and be ready.)
- Pros:Food and mountains
- Cons:traffic, smog, mosquitoes
Taichung Park (Taichung Gongyuan) (Zhongshan Gongyuan) (台中公園) is a large park not far from... more travel advice
The National Museum of Natural Science's Botanical Garden is an unmissable glass building across the street from the... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
T'ai-chung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smoggy City"
- "Taichung City- a funny place I live in"
- "Taichung City"
- "This is my home town"
- "Taichung (台中)"
- "Tai-chung County (chinese: ¥x¤¤¿¤¥«)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in T'ai-chung
- Hotels in T'ai-chung
- Transportation in T'ai-chung
- Nightlife in T'ai-chung
- Restaurants in T'ai-chung
- Warnings and Dangers in T'ai-chung
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in T'ai-chung
- 24 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to T'ai-chung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in T'ai-chung
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos