"Taipei" Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei by chewy3326

Taipei Travel Guide: 1,398 reviews and 3,812 photos

Though I've been to Taiwan a couple of times already, this was the first time I really explored Taipei. I was very pleasently surprised by the city and its people.

Taipei is the largest city (as well as the capital) of Taiwan. The city itself has over 2 million people, but when you add the population of its metropolitan area, which includes cities like Banqiao, there are about 5 million people living in the region. Taipei is set in a basin ringed by mountains; to the south is the Xueshan Range, to the north the Datun mountains (Yangmingshan), to the west Guanyin Shan, and to the east some lower hills between Taipei and Keelung.

I apologize in advance if any Chinese text on this page doesn't show up.

Taipei is rich in everything, from scenery to culture to good food. The city is filled with temples, parks, memorials, and buildings that can be endlessly explored. Also, transportation is very easy, since the city has a very convenient MRT. There are little other places with food quite as good as Taipei, which has restaurants serving everything from stinky tofu, shabu shabu, and mapo tofu to Peking Roast Duck and dim sum.

There are, of course, quite a few downsides to the city, from its intense summer heat, to earthquakes, typhoons, smog, traffic, and pollution. These are still outweighed by the other (positive) characteristics of the city.

I spent 5 days in Taipei, which as I later found out, wasn't enough time.

This page will not only cover Taipei Shih but also Taipei Xien, including Danshui.

Danshui (Tanshui) (Tamshui) (淡水) is a suburb of Taipei and a good day trip, with many historical sights and good places to view sunsets on the Strait of Taiwan.

In Taipei itself, I visited the most famous sights in the city (Longshan Temple, Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, Taipei 101, National Palace Museum), all of which were interesting and sometimes enlightening.

• Pros:Convenient MRT, good food
  • Cons:Traffic, smog, typhoons, heat
  • In a nutshell:One of my favorite cities
  • Last visit to Taipei: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

great tips!

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Hi Chewy! Really nicely written Taipei page and tips. Hopefully we will get to go there some day! Greetings from Los Angeles! Ash & Eve

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Cool Page...any plans on visiting Taiwan again?

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Wow ..some nice pictures....wish I had a digital camera back then when I was there.....will come and look at your other pages soon.Tim

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 11:48 PM

Excelent page and info Chewey. I've been thinking of going to Taipei for a while for it's excellent architecture. You've proven to me that it is worth while.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 12:50 AM

Your page shows, what I missed, when I stayed only 3 days in Taipeh. Great page!

• Sep 5, 2006 at 1:46 PM

Nice pages on Taipei... I'd love to visit it one day too! Happy travelling, Francesca :)

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 6:39 PM

Great Taipei page! But you really need to see a traffic accident to say you've truly been there.

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2006 at 4:00 AM

Yah...taipei is more quiet than lion city actually. you can enjoy both a lot however...

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Taipei is an interesting location ! One day I hope to be able to go there as well !

chewy3326

“Climb the Mountains and get their good tidings -John Muir”

Badges & Stats in Taipei