"Taipei" Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei by chewy3326
Taipei Travel Guide: 1,406 reviews and 3,846 photos
Though I've been to Taiwan a couple of times already, this was the first time I really explored Taipei. I was very pleasently surprised by the city and its people.
Taipei is the largest city (as well as the capital) of Taiwan. The city itself has over 2 million people, but when you add the population of its metropolitan area, which includes cities like Banqiao, there are about 5 million people living in the region. Taipei is set in a basin ringed by mountains; to the south is the Xueshan Range, to the north the Datun mountains (Yangmingshan), to the west Guanyin Shan, and to the east some lower hills between Taipei and Keelung.
I apologize in advance if any Chinese text on this page doesn't show up.
Taipei is rich in everything, from scenery to culture to good food. The city is filled with temples, parks, memorials, and buildings that can be endlessly explored. Also, transportation is very easy, since the city has a very convenient MRT. There are little other places with food quite as good as Taipei, which has restaurants serving everything from stinky tofu, shabu shabu, and mapo tofu to Peking Roast Duck and dim sum.
There are, of course, quite a few downsides to the city, from its intense summer heat, to earthquakes, typhoons, smog, traffic, and pollution. These are still outweighed by the other (positive) characteristics of the city.
I spent 5 days in Taipei, which as I later found out, wasn't enough time.
This page will not only cover Taipei Shih but also Taipei Xien, including Danshui.
Danshui (Tanshui) (Tamshui) (淡水) is a suburb of Taipei and a good day trip, with many historical sights and good places to view sunsets on the Strait of Taiwan.
In Taipei itself, I visited the most famous sights in the city (Longshan Temple, Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, Taipei 101, National Palace Museum), all of which were interesting and sometimes enlightening.
- Pros:Convenient MRT, good food
- Cons:Traffic, smog, typhoons, heat
- In a nutshell:One of my favorite cities
Taipei's Shilin Night Market is one of the most exciting night markets around. The Market is actually much closer to the... more travel advice
Just as the Atlantic is known for Hurricanes, the western Pacific is known for its frequent typhoons. Each year, between... more travel advice
chewy3326's Related Pages
Taipei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home Taipei"
- "Taipei City, my second hometown"
- "Keeweechic's Taipei"
- "Tour around Greater Taipei"
- "Big city-Taipei"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taipei
- Hotels in Taipei
- Transportation in Taipei
- Nightlife in Taipei
- Restaurants in Taipei
- Shopping in Taipei
- Warnings and Dangers in Taipei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taipei
- 40 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Taipei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taipei
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos