"It's a Big World" chewy3326's Profile
I've not been great on updating my pages recently- I'm back after a long hiatus though, so I'll be posting gradually about recent day trips to Shenandoah National Park and a backpacking trip to Berg Lake in British Columbia
Taipei: home to the tallest building in the world as well as temples and historic sites.
Taiwan: a small oft-overlooked island filled with cities and soaring mountains.
Nantou: home to the highest peaks on the island of Taiwan.
Lake Tahoe: beautiful scenery and good hiking.
Lee Vining: unearthly Mono Lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada.
All photos used on any of my pages are by myself or members of my family. If I use a photo from another source, I'll say so. If you would like to use any of my photos, email me first about it.
Random Place in the World
This link takes you to some random, off-the-beaten track place in the world that I've visited. Updated every few weeks or so.
2006 was about as exciting as 2005 was, if not more. The second day of the new year, I headed to Wintergreen Ski Resort in the Blue Ridge. Half a month later, we attempted to make a trip to New York, but got bogged down in a snowstorm in New Jersey and had to turn back and go home, although we did make a stop in Baltimore, Maryland. In mid-April, we took a six-day trip to Rochester and Niagara Falls in New York state. In late May, we took a short day-trip to Shenandoah National Park to hike up Mary's Rock. Two weeks later, we flew to California for 12 days, and visited Yosemite National Park, a bit of the Eastern Sierra, Lake Tahoe, Muir Woods, and San Francisco. After returning to Virginia I made two short daytrips, one to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the other to Washington DC. Then I departed on a 33-day trip to Taiwan where I visited the fabulous cities of Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, and Kaohsiung, the historic sites at Lukang, and the natural scenery of Nantou, Alishan, and Kenting. After returning, we took a Labor Day weekend trip to Philadelphia and New York, where I saw two Chinatowns and amazing views from the Top of the Rock. A little afterwards we took another short day trip to Winchester to pick apples. In peak fall foliage season, I took two short, short trips to the Great Falls. In late December (29 and 31), I took two seperate day trips to Washington DC and Great Falls of the Potomac, which wrapped up my year in travel.
I don't really travel too much, so I can say that I've probably traveled more in 2005 than any other year. This year was relatively uneventful until late March-early April, when we took our first trip to California. After flying to Oakland, we did Pacific Grove and Big Sur. The scenery was just knokout beautiful. We also spent a day in San Francisco, which was a really great city. We liked it so much... we decided to come back in June. In late June, we spent ten days exploring Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park. The highlight of this area was the beautiful Mineral King Valley, which has some of the best hiking and scenery that I've seen so far. Later, I spent a while hiking in George Washington National Forest, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The mountains here are much gentler, and often seem much more welcoming. Then in late July, we made a two-week trip to China and Taiwan. The trip was more to visit relatives than to actually tour the area, but I still managed to cram in some sights. Our entire visit was plagued by cloudy weather, air pollution, and rain. In mid-August, I took a three-day trip to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. I got a last word in on Christmas Eve with a day trip to Great Falls Park in Northern Virginia, where the beautiful Great Falls of the Potomac plunge into a narrow gorge.
3. Karakoram Highway
5. Glacier National Park
7. South Georgia Island
8. Newfoundland and Labrador
August 2011- Canadian Rockies & BC
June 2011- Taiwan
August 2010- Alaska
June 2010- Shanghai World Expo
August 2009- Canadian Rockies
July 2008- Adirondack Park, NY
June 2008- Taiwan
July-August 2007- Taiwan
June 2007- Yosemite NP and the Eastern Sierra, CA
May 2007- Old Rag Mountain, Shenandoah NP, VA
September 2006- Philadelphia and New York
July-August 2006- Taiwan
June 2006- Yosemite NP and Lake Tahoe
April 2006- Rochester NY, and Niagara Falls, ON and NY
August 2005- Virginia Beach and Williamsburg
July 2005- Northeast China and Taiwan
June 2005- Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP
April 2005- San Francisco and Big Sur
December 2004- Philadelphia
August 2003- Shenandoah NP
June 2003- Olympic and Mt. Rainier NP
April 2003- New York City
I've also taken numerous trips to Washington DC, Charlottesville, and Richmond during this time.
1. San Francisco
4. Washington DC
4. New York
2. Mt. Rainier
1. Sequoia National Park
2. Olympic National Park
3. Mineral King
5. Great Falls
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Province of Zambales Hotels
- United States of America
- Puri Hotels
- Laughlin Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- North America
- Sedona Hotels
- Hong Kong
- Dockweiler Beach State Park Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Laguna del Hule Hotels
- Lloret de Mar
- Ho Chi Minh City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 932 Reviews
- 1,670 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 67 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
- updated a Shenandoah National Park Travel Page "A Thin slice of country"
- chewy3326 and RafaelTheSecond are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Jones Run Falls in Shenandoah National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jones Run Falls"
updated their Profile Page "It's a Big World"
- Commented on MikeBird's profile page
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "RE: Yosemite to Las Vegas"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 110 reviews, 214 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park Intro, 55 reviews, 118 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 46 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 40 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nan-t'ou Intro, 31 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 37 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'ai-chung Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
- Paris Hotels
- 22465 Reviews - 54992 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Subic Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 861 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23318 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos