"It's a Big World" chewy3326's Profile

I've not been great on updating my pages recently- I'm back after a long hiatus though, so I'll be posting gradually about recent day trips to Shenandoah National Park and a backpacking trip to Berg Lake in British Columbia

Recent Pages:
Taipei: home to the tallest building in the world as well as temples and historic sites.
Taiwan: a small oft-overlooked island filled with cities and soaring mountains.
Nantou: home to the highest peaks on the island of Taiwan.
Lake Tahoe: beautiful scenery and good hiking.
Lee Vining: unearthly Mono Lake at the foot of the Sierra Nevada.

All photos used on any of my pages are by myself or members of my family. If I use a photo from another source, I'll say so. If you would like to use any of my photos, email me first about it.

Random place in the World

Random Place in the World

This link takes you to some random, off-the-beaten track place in the world that I've visited. Updated every few weeks or so.

Travels in...

...2006
2006 was about as exciting as 2005 was, if not more. The second day of the new year, I headed to Wintergreen Ski Resort in the Blue Ridge. Half a month later, we attempted to make a trip to New York, but got bogged down in a snowstorm in New Jersey and had to turn back and go home, although we did make a stop in Baltimore, Maryland. In mid-April, we took a six-day trip to Rochester and Niagara Falls in New York state. In late May, we took a short day-trip to Shenandoah National Park to hike up Mary's Rock. Two weeks later, we flew to California for 12 days, and visited Yosemite National Park, a bit of the Eastern Sierra, Lake Tahoe, Muir Woods, and San Francisco. After returning to Virginia I made two short daytrips, one to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the other to Washington DC. Then I departed on a 33-day trip to Taiwan where I visited the fabulous cities of Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, and Kaohsiung, the historic sites at Lukang, and the natural scenery of Nantou, Alishan, and Kenting. After returning, we took a Labor Day weekend trip to Philadelphia and New York, where I saw two Chinatowns and amazing views from the Top of the Rock. A little afterwards we took another short day trip to Winchester to pick apples. In peak fall foliage season, I took two short, short trips to the Great Falls. In late December (29 and 31), I took two seperate day trips to Washington DC and Great Falls of the Potomac, which wrapped up my year in travel.

...2005
I don't really travel too much, so I can say that I've probably traveled more in 2005 than any other year. This year was relatively uneventful until late March-early April, when we took our first trip to California. After flying to Oakland, we did Pacific Grove and Big Sur. The scenery was just knokout beautiful. We also spent a day in San Francisco, which was a really great city. We liked it so much... we decided to come back in June. In late June, we spent ten days exploring Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park. The highlight of this area was the beautiful Mineral King Valley, which has some of the best hiking and scenery that I've seen so far. Later, I spent a while hiking in George Washington National Forest, in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The mountains here are much gentler, and often seem much more welcoming. Then in late July, we made a two-week trip to China and Taiwan. The trip was more to visit relatives than to actually tour the area, but I still managed to cram in some sights. Our entire visit was plagued by cloudy weather, air pollution, and rain. In mid-August, I took a three-day trip to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. I got a last word in on Christmas Eve with a day trip to Great Falls Park in Northern Virginia, where the beautiful Great Falls of the Potomac plunge into a narrow gorge.

Travel Wishes

December 2004- Philadelphia
August 2003- Shenandoah NP
June 2003- Olympic and Mt. Rainier NP
April 2003- New York City

I've also taken numerous trips to Washington DC, Charlottesville, and Richmond during this time.

• Intro Updated Dec 17, 2011

• Thai-Guy's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Happy New Year!

I just saw your pics of Lake O'Hara on the Tip Of The Day. Very Nice! Just when I thought I had enough reasons to visit Canada (BC), you just added 1 more to my list. Thanks.

• VT_Tipoftheday's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hey Chewy!

Just wanted to congratulate you on Tip of the Day! The photography was beautiful, and you showed me a place I had never heard of and may never have seen without your dedication to National Parks! Truly admirable!

In addition to being featured on our VT_TipoftheDay Profile page ("Welcome to VirtualTourist's Tip of the Day page!" - VT_Tipoftheday's Profile), you’ll also be on our VT Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/VirtualTourist) and our VT Twitter (twitter.com/#!/VirtualTouris...), so feel free to link to them or retweet! And keep up the great tips!

Congrats again!
    Blake

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Hi, you were the featured member when I signed on, just stopping by to say hello.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM

It looks to me like you have traveled a lot-but always more to see. I have 15 years planned yet, and by then may get too old to want to or try to.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 2:39 AM

I like your sign in photo - is it of a Marmot? Any tips or pages that relate to Marmots as I think they're terrific mammals. I've seen them in the Alps and Pyrenees and heard them whistling! Thanks, Mike

• WorldMeet2008's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Your next trip? Make it really unique! It's not too late to attend WM08 - Jerusalem, Tel Aviv & Dead- Sea on 25- 28th Sept (+Petra 29-30th). We want to double the num of attendees to 100! Click to learn where, when, what, how, how much! Avi [FruitLover

• Shihar's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 6:50 AM

Hey Chewy.. Just stopping by to say HI! Hope you are doing well

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 9:29 AM

AMAZING butterfly photo - gorgeous! --Kathy

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Love your marmot... and your quote! Yosemite is indeed a glorious place.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 3:05 AM

enjoyed your page and lovely photos

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
chewy3326's Profile Photo

chewy3326

“Climb the Mountains and get their good tidings -John Muir”

Location