Rio de Janeiro Transportation Tips by racheljapi Top 5 Page for this destination
Rio de Janeiro Transportation: 217 reviews and 141 photos
Most of the American and European airlines fly into and out of Rio de Janeiro daily. There are various domestic airlines within Brazil, the principal ones being Varig, Tam, Vasp and Gol; Varig also has the most extensive network of domestic flights. Booking the best flights to suit your schedule is a service that DiscoverBrazil provides. Transfer services in air-conditioned vehicles, taxis, bus services and car rentals are also services we provide.
Also check which S. American airlines are sister airlines to the ones in your country. Sometimes you can use frequent flyer miles from one airline with it's sister airline.
The main cities for Rio out of the US are LA, Miami, and NY
This is a very general tip but take the subway. The subway in Rio is nice, inexpensive, and fairly easy to get around it. It's a must for getting downtown but don't try to take it to the beach. It does go to Copacabana but not to Ipanema. You can easily grab a bus to Ipanema. They will be extending the metro eventually. FYI: They don't run Sundays.
I'm usually against taking taxis places because I like to do the more local thing but in Rio it's best to take one at night. Not only is it safer but the metros close and some bus lines stop. There also aren't time schedules and such for buses and it does get a bit shadier as the night goes on. So as it gets later and you drink a little more (or don't) hop in a taxi home. When it comes down to it, it's not that much money but it is that much safer.
If you look at the sign in the front of the buses it'll tell you the area it's going to. Once there you can ask for directions to your destination. That is a tip for those not wanting to spend $. But if a little isn't a big deal, taxis aren't too bad and they don't screw you over as much as you'd think.
More Reviews (83)
- See All Espresso in Rio and/or a Salmon
- See All Visit the chiquita banana lady
- See All Guide to all sports activities in Rio!
- See All Botanical gardens
- See All Traveling to places close to Rio
- See All Shopping in miami
- See All Barra hotels...
- See All General Weather patterns for major...
- See All Best Choppe and German Food
- See All Smoking something illegal on the beach
- Pack Light
Been to Rio de Janeiro?Share your travels with the world!
racheljapi's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 87 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 155 Forum posts
- 83 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 87 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- San Diego Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bùzios Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ouro Prêto Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Granada Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Seattle 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Oak Harbor Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews
- Plaza Copacabana
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Leme Othon Palace Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- Best Western Rio Copa Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Lancaster Othon Hotel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Grande Hotel Canada
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Fasano Hotel
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Sofitel Rio de Janeiro
- 474 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Merlin Copacabana Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Windsor Barra Hotel
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Promenade Palladium Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Premier Copacabana Hotel
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- O Veleiro Bed and Breakfast
- 179 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- The LightHouse Hostel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Pousada Galeao
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2012
- Bonita Ipanema
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado- 157 Reviews, 253 Photos
- Sugar Loaf - Pão de Açucar- 126 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Copacabana- 105 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Ipanema- 64 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Carnaval- 58 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Downtown- 46 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Tijuca Forest- 26 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Santa Teresa- 34 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Maracanã Soccer Stadium- 41 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 40 Reviews, 65 Photos
See All Rio de Janeiro Things to Do