"Laguna Bacalar and Beyond" Laguna Bacalar by donfrancisco
Laguna Bacalar Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 25 photos
Eight years ago, 2 years after a massive heart attack; we began looking for a warmer,cheaper place to live than New York. Somehow in my new/used Bronco we drove to what seemed like the end of the world and fell in love with it. We rented on the Costera for 2 years then bought a house on the shore of the Lagoon near the Hotel Laguna and the Cenote Azul.
The big surprise was when exotic Bacalar became just "home".
It was paradise and has probably added years to the little time they originally gave me to live.
Recently however, Bacalar is showing the tense signs of rapid growth and being turned into a "tourist destination". Read and see more in my Photoblog: Laguna Bacalar and Beyond at http://www.homepage.mac.com/donfrancisco864/iblog/index.html and then navigate to the site menu for more photo albums.
- Pros:Was quiet,tranquil,charming,inexpensive,friendly,warm,beautiful,with wonderful swimming in the hemispere's most beautiful swimming hole
- Cons:New highway and cruise ship terminal (Mahajual) are bringing tourist "development",robberies,higher prices, and problems
- In a nutshell:Paradise can have problems and isn't quite heaven
Orizaba, a simple palapa restaurant for workers, Mexican tourists, and the local middle class has fed me cheaply and... more travel advice
There isn't a lot to see around this small village. In the center is the old Spanish fort with great views and a little... more travel advice
donfrancisco's Related Pages
Laguna Bacalar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laguna Bacalar and Beyond"
- "Bacalar - the Lake of Seven Colours"
- "Lake of Seven Colors"
- "Laguna Bacalar"
- "If they build it they will come!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laguna Bacalar
- Hotels in Laguna Bacalar
- Restaurants in Laguna Bacalar
- Warnings and Dangers in Laguna Bacalar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laguna Bacalar
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Laguna Bacalar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laguna Bacalar
- Wrote a Review Simple palapa restaurant in town in Laguna Bacalar Off The Beaten Path
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Belize vs. southern Yucatan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fuerte de San Felipe/ Fort of Saint Phillip"
- created a Laguna Bacalar Travel Page "Laguna Bacalar and Beyond"
Photos in Laguna BacalarSee All Photos (4)
No friends yet.