"Cucumber's prints" cucumbre's Profile
Cucumbre is, in fact, Cucumber, which was already the name of another VT. It is a nick given by university friends during my undergraduate days. At present, I am a research student, pursuing a doctorate. My research area is on weird stuffs like origami mathematics and paper pop-ups. So like-minded ones, do contact me. I love photography and video productions as well.
Travelling starts with my fascination with the world map. Since young, I love to flip the atlas and study the world geography. I was so enchanted by the globe when I realized my home country is just a dot on the map and the rest of the world is so big. In primary school, I would memorize all the countries' names and their locations, and did well for social studies' tests to name countries on the map. :P
My relatives and friends who are non-locals have also been a great influence. In particular, there is Uncle Terry who is a British and visits Singapore frequently with my aunt. Since young, he has told me stories of his travel and I am so inspired by his knowledge of the world.
My tertiary institution is not just the place to study. It also contains a global community where I got to make some good friends from overseas. Then came Christ who stuck to me the Great Commission too.
So this and that, all the little little things added to my love to venture beyond the dot on the map. :)
These were some travelling experiences that are unforgettable.
On my maiden flight out of S'pore, I reached the airport late and missed the plane to Hong Kong. I managed to have extra plane charges for my absence waivered. *phew* The following day, I took another flight. My HK friend wasn't convinced that I missed the plane.
In Yogyakarta, my friends and I went up to a mountain village at Gunung Kidu. When we was leaving, it was so dark at night I could not see my feet. But the moon was exceptionally bright and it lit the way and guided our van on the mountain track.
I am a short, small-sized guy. So carrying a heavy, fully packed haversack that was two-third of my height from Stockholm to Copenhagen is eh... a feat.
My most memorable movie was at an old Chinatown cinema (Rex) in Kuala Lumpur. All of us watched with feet raised as there were rats running beneath the seats. All the kissing scenes were cut. It was a James Bond movie.
At Stockholm, 4 of us took different directions to locate a socket converter in an electronic shop. It was like a treasure hunt as we had to move off to elsewhere in 15min. We couldn't find any store assistant in the crowd and everything was in Swedish. When we gathered, we returned with emptied hands. At that moment, we saw our treasure just behind us. There was only one on display.
One of my travelmates misplaced her air ticket a few hrs before we were to leave Yogya. We didn't manage to find it after searching high and low. So we prayed. Within a min, we found it. It had slipped into the side of her bed.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 57 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- cucumbre and jeremyk are now friends.
- Commented on MalenaN's profile page
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Breakfast in Paris"
updated their Profile Page "Cucumber's prints"
- Wrote a Review Penang Hill about Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera) in Penang Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Batu Ferringhi"
- updated a Penang Travel Page "Penang's Delights"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Pangkor Intro, 23 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Redang Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lumut Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22145 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15551 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8353 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7623 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos