"Penang" Penang by Linda_T

Penang Travel Guide: 2,478 reviews and 5,340 photos

Time Warp

I have just had the most wonderful time visiting Penang. I used to live there as a teenager in the '70's when my father was in the RAAF. I had not been back for 29 years so it was with excitment and fear that I made this visit.
I was afraid that with all the time and progress the Penang I remembered would have disappeared. Fortunately I was proved wrong, the Penang I remember is still there, nestled amongst the highrises.
I loved visiting the temples and walking the streets of Georgetown, feeling as if I was in a time warp.
I will definately return

Come and visit me at: www.penangtravelforum.com

I ended up visiting sooner rather than later, I went with my mum in August 2006. I loved it, so much to see and explore. We spent 5 nights in Georgetown and 4 nights at BF this time. I loved staying in Georgetown and will definately split my time between the two next trip.

Update: I was fortunate to have to attend a conference in KL in October so we flew over a little earlier and spent 4 nights in Penang!! Got back and decided we really need to visit again so we've booked for March 2008. Penang is addictive!!

• Pros:melting pot of cultures, friendly people, great shoes!
  • Last visit to Penang: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• Pat_Bangkok's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 6:33 AM

Sawasdee Linda,Nice memory in Penang page! Happy to see u in CM again next year.

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for Singapore Linda. Yes i like the Chinatown too, the orchids garden and many more. Penang is a dream:)

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 7:34 PM

Linda, great to hear you enjoyed Penang and the e and o. Like you, I love the hotel, it's so wonderfully retro!!

• Oct 15, 2006 at 9:46 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• preadhead's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Hahaha Linda you have shown amazing restraint on your bus transportation tip. I love that your photo is taken from the outside and not the INSIDE :-)) Helen

• jolou's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM

Must have been great to revisit after all those years! Interesting to hear about the Casuarina! Jo :o)

• nezz's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM

You make me jealous I could really eat a serve of Char kway teo for breakfast right now. Sitting on the verandah of the GPP. Glad you had a lovely time and got to escape the cold winter if only for a while.....Maybe next year...

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 8:09 AM

Thnaks for droping by Linda.Hey you should have drop by KL. You are so close yet so far. Well it seems you have been to Penang way way back before I was even born. Coooool....

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Hi Linda, glad you love Penang a lot. Tried the famous 'Penang Laksa'?

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 11:36 PM

Hi Linda, just came back from Penang as a tourist last weekend. Came back to KL, thinking, when can I go back?! *LOL*

Linda_T