"Not Always The Great White North" Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis by lkdahl
Minneapolis Travel Guide: 943 reviews and 1,673 photos
I find much of my freetime at home, thinking about being somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love living in Minneapolis-St. Paul but I also love traveling to new places.
Minneapolis and Minnesota in general are known for a few things, lakes(over 15,000), the Mall of America, headwaters of the Mississippi river, hockey and mostly for it's harsh winters.
Minneapolis-St. Paul has about 3 million residents living within the metro area. The two cities are commonly known as the Twin Cities. As the name states, Minneapolis and St. Paul are very similar and there population is about equal, around 400,000 residents each.
There are differences though, for instance Minneapolis is the more lively and happening town where downtown is extremely active night and day. Uptown attracts the young and the hip and there is always something going on. Minneapolis is also the home to the University of Minnesota with it's 40,000+ student body. Downtown is a bustling business hub with many financial institutions and is the home of the Twins, Vikings and Timberwolves sports teams.
St. Paul is more traditional, being the capital of Minnesota, there are a lot of classic government style buildings, and the imposing and exquiste St. Paul Catherdal that overlooks the capital building and downtown. Summit Avenue is a beautiful street with many old mansions that date back to the late 1800. St. Paul is more family orientated and is always ranked #1 for being the "best city to raise a family in the US".
3) Grumpy Old Men
4) The Mighty Ducks
5) Purple Rain
Bob Dylan - Musician
Jessica Lange - Actress
John Madden - MNF sports announcer
Kevin McHale - Hall of Fame NBA player
Judy Garland - Actress
Charles Lindbergh - Pioneering aviator
Prince - Musician
Garrison Keillor - Author, NPR personality
Craig Kilborn - Late nite TV host
F. Scott Fitzgerald - Author
Charles Schultz - Creator of the Peanuts
Winona Ryder - Actress
Josh Hartnett - Actor
Coen Brothers - Filmmakers
- Pros:lots of lakes, parks, outdoor activities
- Cons:cold as heck in winter
After years of political wrangling, threats by the owner to move or contract the team, Minnesota and Minneapolis openned... more travel advice
lkdahl's Related Pages
Minneapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Waters"
- "A Terrific Town!"
- "Not Always The Great White North"
- "On Target in Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "Minneapolis - City of Water"
- "Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "The City of Lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minneapolis
- Hotels in Minneapolis
- Transportation in Minneapolis
- Nightlife in Minneapolis
- Restaurants in Minneapolis
- Shopping in Minneapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Minneapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minneapolis
- 34 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Minneapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minneapolis
- Wrote a Review The Twins at Target Field about Spectator Sports in Minneapolis Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Twins at Target Field"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: World Cup tickets"
- Commented on one of savvygirl's Minneapolis travel pages
- updated a Minneapolis Travel Page "Not Always The Great White North"
Photos in MinneapolisSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 29 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- El Calafate Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- North Shore Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Hague Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos