"Not Always The Great White North" Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis by lkdahl

Minneapolis Travel Guide: 933 reviews and 1,636 photos

Well it's home

I find much of my freetime at home, thinking about being somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love living in Minneapolis-St. Paul but I also love traveling to new places.

Minneapolis and Minnesota in general are known for a few things, lakes(over 15,000), the Mall of America, headwaters of the Mississippi river, hockey and mostly for it's harsh winters.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has about 3 million residents living within the metro area. The two cities are commonly known as the Twin Cities. As the name states, Minneapolis and St. Paul are very similar and there population is about equal, around 400,000 residents each.

There are differences though, for instance Minneapolis is the more lively and happening town where downtown is extremely active night and day. Uptown attracts the young and the hip and there is always something going on. Minneapolis is also the home to the University of Minnesota with it's 40,000+ student body. Downtown is a bustling business hub with many financial institutions and is the home of the Twins, Vikings and Timberwolves sports teams.

St. Paul is more traditional, being the capital of Minnesota, there are a lot of classic government style buildings, and the imposing and exquiste St. Paul Catherdal that overlooks the capital building and downtown. Summit Avenue is a beautiful street with many old mansions that date back to the late 1800. St. Paul is more family orientated and is always ranked #1 for being the "best city to raise a family in the US".

Best Movies about Minnesota or Minnesotans

Charles Schultz - Creator of the Peanuts
Winona Ryder - Actress
Josh Hartnett - Actor
Coen Brothers - Filmmakers

• Pros:lots of lakes, parks, outdoor activities
  • Cons:cold as heck in winter
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2007

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Great page of Mnneapolis. Hope to visit one day.

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Seems like St Patrick's day is celebrated in similar fashion around the world. Thanks for the ATM tip for Vegas. Cheers, Clive

• zuriga's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM

My son and granddaughter live in Mpls. He is a fan of the Big Wu. :-)

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 8:52 PM

If I ever feel like barhopping in the Twin Cities I now know who I will ask for advice. Great page full of useful advice. Well done!

• msp_ssa's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM

Yeah, I thought Rick Steves was a little boring at first too, but after watching him awhile he seems genuine and I like his down to earth people approach to travel.

• magictravelers's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 11:15 AM

Too bad I never met you when I lived in Minneapolis. You see to be a fun (crazy is more like it) guy, who would have shown me a lot I never saw Cheers from Barcelona

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 2:12 PM

This looks like a great place to live Luke exellent tips.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 7:24 PM

Hey Luke, great page on your home town. I still think the M of A is a tourist trap though.

• flyingkiwi's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 9:31 PM

I'm gonna bookmark this page and come back to it. So much to read & it looks great (but nothing about the Vikes?)! It deserves my time. - Mark

• nichole_521's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 9:29 PM

Great Minneapolis page Luke. It is a great city to visit.

lkdahl Lives Here!

lkdahl

“"All of these lines across my face, tell you the story of who I am…" The Story, Brandi Carlile”

Badges & Stats in Minneapolis

Have you been to Minneapolis?

Latest Activity in Minneapolis