McLeod Ganj Things to Do Tips by DaDrifter Top 5 Page for this destination
McLeod Ganj Things to Do: 56 reviews and 145 photos
Losel Doll - Ritual Dancer
The Losel Dolls Museum is part of the Norbulingka complex.
The museum houses a large collection of dolls depicting the various facets of Tibetan life and culture, such as the regional costumes, ritual dancers, aristocrats and governmnet officials, Lhamo opera, history and legend etc.
Address: The Norbulingka Institute
The Norbulingka Institute
The Norbulingka is an institution dedicated to the preservation of Tibetan Art and culture. The Nobulingka is situated in the valley below Dharamshala, about 8 kms from the main temple complex.
Some of the skills being imparted to the resident Tibetan artists at Norbulingka include traditional Tibetan statue making, thangka painting, woodcarving and metal craft.
The complex has a small temple (Seat of Happiness temple), a Tibetan dolls museum, a guesthouse and a shop selling products made by the resident artists. Products sold at the institute are extremely good in quality and craftsmanship, but a little too expensive.
The institute is located in a somewhat remote area and it is difficult at times to get a cab on the way back. If you happen to visit McLeod Ganj in the winter months, it is better to hire a cab or an auto-rickshaw for the round trip.
Address: Sidhpur, Dharamshala
Directions: Not within walking distance from McLeod Ganj, about 15-20 drive by cab or auto-rickshaw.
Phone: +91 1892 246402
Page under construction
A short walk downhill from the bus station towards Lower Dharamshala takes you to the Church of St. John's. This pretty stone church alongside a well tended cemetary is reminisent of McLeod Ganj's colonial past.
Directions: About one km walk from the bus station back towards Lower Dharamshala.
Monks at the Dalai Lama Temple
The Tsuglagkhang Temple complex, or the Dalai Lama Temple, is the most sacred monument in McLeod Ganj. Simple in appearance from the outside, the temple houses larger than life statues of the Buddha, Padmasambhava and Avaloktwshwara.
The temple also houses one of the largest collections of sacred Tibetan texts.
Address: Tsuglagkhang Complex
Directions: On the temple road about five minutes walk from the bus station. Just follow the crowd, everyone seems to be heading there :-)
More Reviews (6)
DaDrifter's Related Pages
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Still Square - Dharamshala-McLeod Ganj"
- "Little Lhasa"
- "Home of the Dalai Lama & Tibetan Government"
- "McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!"
- "Dalai Lama's home town!"
- "Himalayan Paradise!"
- "Tibetan exile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McLeod Ganj
- Hotels in McLeod Ganj
- Transportation in McLeod Ganj
- Nightlife in McLeod Ganj
- Restaurants in McLeod Ganj
- Shopping in McLeod Ganj
- Warnings and Dangers in McLeod Ganj
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Zamboanga City Hotels
- Giant City State Park Hotels
- Batu Kawan Hotels
- Lloret de Mar
- Ho Chi Minh City
Badges & Stats in McLeod Ganj
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to McLeod Ganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McLeod Ganj
Photos in McLeod GanjSee All Photos (16)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue