"Little Lhasa" Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj by DaDrifter
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 345 photos
Dharamshala is the main township of the Kangra Valley of Himachal Pradesh. The twin townships of Lower Dharamshala and McLeod Ganj (Upper Dharamshala) are located amidst an astounding backdrop of snow clad Dhauldhar ranges of the Himalayas.
Lower Dharamshala, which is located at an altitude of 1380m, is a small bustling town well connected to the other parts of Himachal Pradesh by road. A 10 km climb from Lower Dharamshala on a narrow winding road takes you to McLeod Ganj (1770m).
McLeod Ganj is more famous for the residence of H H the Dalai Lama and the Tibetean Government-in-exile.
The centre of the town is the bus station. Six major roads (read six tiny narrow unkempt lanes) branch off from the centre of the town for Lower Dharamshala, Nadi, Bhagsunath, Dharamkot, Jogibara and Dalai Lama's temple complex. Hotels and restaurant to suit every pocket are located all around the bus station along these branching streets. There are a lot more cyber cafes, western union money transfer outlets and long distance telephone booths than one would expect in a small town like McLeod Ganj.
There is a spiritual charm to McLeod Ganj - The presence of a large friendly Tibetan community; chortens and prayer wheels; rocks and stones painted with the words "Om Mani Padme Hum" (Buddhist prayer); tibetan and western monks dressed in bright red robes; ... they all lend a Tibetan look and feel to McLeod Ganj ... no wonder it's called the "Little Lhasa".
- Pros:Clean fresh air, breathtaking views and a sneak preview of Tibetan culture
- Cons:Small town, very laid back, bad roads and you run the occasional risk of bumping into folks like Richard Gere and Goldie Hawn :-)
- In a nutshell:Tranquility at McLeod Ganj is almost divine ... a great getaway
The Chonor House is perhaps the best hotel in McLeod Gang. The hotel is located very close to the Dalai Lama temple. The... more travel advice
By Train : The easiest way to get to McLeod Ganj is to take an overnight train from New Delhi to Pathankot, which is... more travel advice
DaDrifter's Related Pages
McLeod Ganj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Still Square - Dharamshala-McLeod Ganj"
- "Little Lhasa"
- "Home of the Dalai Lama & Tibetan Government"
- "McLeod Ganj.... So this is the Indian Himalaya!"
- "McLeod Ganj aka The Little Lhasa"
- "Dalai Lama's home town!"
- "Himalayan Paradise!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McLeod Ganj
- Hotels in McLeod Ganj
- Transportation in McLeod Ganj
- Nightlife in McLeod Ganj
- Restaurants in McLeod Ganj
- Shopping in McLeod Ganj
- Warnings and Dangers in McLeod Ganj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McLeod Ganj
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to McLeod Ganj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McLeod Ganj
Photos in McLeod GanjSee All Photos (16)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue