"A lot more than meets the eye" Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh by DaDrifter
Chandigarh Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 250 photos
Chandigarh is the dual capital of the Indian states of Punjab and Haryana. It is located about 250 km from New Delhi, on way to Himachal Pradesh.
I have had a love-hate relationship with this city. I used to find it very dull, boring and somewhat lifeless in my younger days. Today it is one of my favourite cities ... I am not sure whether the city just grew on me or I just got older and started appreciating the finer things in life - like some peace and quite :)
This is the only city in India that gives you a sense of order, a sense of calm - it completely lacks the essential chaos that pervades every aspect of life in India. It is also the youngest city in India, designed by the famous French architect Le Corbusier in the early 50s.
It may not offer much to a traveller in terms of history and culture, but is definitely worth a stop over if you are heading towards the hills of Himachal Pradesh.
There is something about this city that is hard to describe ... I always come back feeling relaxed and rejuvenated after a trip :)
- Pros:Green, pollution free and very organised
- Cons:Not many - can appear lifeless at times :)
- In a nutshell:Fascinating Flora and the hills are just a few minutes drive
Yadavindra Gardens are located at Pinjore, about 20 kms from Chandigarh, on the road leading to Shimla. These stepped... more travel advice
Chandigarh is also a great place to see some unique gardens - nothing like a brisk morning walk by the lake side or in... more travel advice
DaDrifter's Related Pages
Chandigarh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chandigarh - India's only planned modern city"
- "A lot more than meets the eye"
- "Chandigarh, India"
- "chandigarh-The planned city"
- "Eccentric City with an Austere Facade!!"
- "Planned city ... just like home!"
- "Le Corbusier's vision"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chandigarh
- Hotels in Chandigarh
- Transportation in Chandigarh
- Restaurants in Chandigarh
- Shopping in Chandigarh
- Warnings and Dangers in Chandigarh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chandigarh
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Chandigarh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chandigarh
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue