"Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City" Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri by DaDrifter
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 743 photos
Built during the second half of the 16th century, Fatehpur Sikri (Victory Town of Sikri), served as the capital of the Mughal empire for nearly ten years. The city was built by Emperor Akbar, the most tolerant of the Mughal emperors. It is a world heritage site now, located on the Agra-Jaipur highway, about 40 kms from the Agra town.
Popular folklore has is that Emperor Akbar, who did not have an heir, made a pilgrimage to Sheikh Salim Chisti, a Sufi saint who lived near Agra in a small village called Sikri, to seek his blessings. When Akbar was blessed with a son, to show gratitude and respect for the Sufi Saint, he named his son Salim and decided to build his capital city at Sikri. The construction of the city appears to have begun in the year 1571 AD and it took nearly fifteen years to complete.
The name Fatehpur (Victory Town) was added to commemorate Akbar's conquest of Gujarat and the city served as the Mughal capital for a decade.
The factual reasons for a sudden decline of the city would perhaps never be known. It is often believed that the city was abandoned primarily due to shortage of water in the region. Some historians tend to think that the city was deserted after the emperor simply lost interest in the place.
The Fatehpur Sikri complex is divided into two parts - the palace complex and the mosque complex.
Red Sandstone was extensively used in the construction of several palaces, courtyards, pools and mosques within the complex.
Most of the monuments are in a perfect state of preservation, giving Fatehpur Sikri the appearance of a deserted town.
The architecture is a fascinating blend of Hindu and Islamic styles, perhaps reflecting "Din-E-Ilahi", the newly founded (though short lived) faith founded by Akbar in the 16th century.
The entry fee for the complex is Rs. 20 for Indians and Rs. 260 for foreigners.
- Pros:Half a day trip from Agra
- Cons:The usual - Hawkers and Guides who won't take NO for an answer
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit
The tradition of 'Dancing Bears' has existed in India since the times of the Mughal empire. You will find a lot of... more travel advice
The Treasury builiding and the adjoining Kiosk in the picture (Astrologer's Seat) were probably used as the imperial... more travel advice
DaDrifter's Related Pages
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri"
- "The GRAND center of Akbar's world...for 15 years."
- "Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City"
- "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- "Fatehpur Sikri-Victory town!!"
- "Fatehpur Sikri"
- "Fathepur Sikri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fatehpur Sikri
- Hotels in Fatehpur Sikri
- Transportation in Fatehpur Sikri
- Restaurants in Fatehpur Sikri
- Shopping in Fatehpur Sikri
- Warnings and Dangers in Fatehpur Sikri
- See All...
Explore the World
- Baton Rouge Hotels
- Lago Albano
- Yosemite National Park
- Salt Point State Park Hotels
- Jelapang Hotels
- Sungai Kolok Hotels
- Greater Accra Region
- Sombrero Island Hotels
- Antelope Island
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Half Moon Bay
- Ballyjamesduff Hotels
Badges & Stats in Fatehpur Sikri
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fatehpur Sikri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fatehpur Sikri
- Commented on one of keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: Missing tip ratings"
- updated a Fatehpur Sikri Travelogue "Blend of Hindu & Islamic Architecture - 2"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blend of Hindu & Islamic Architecture - 2"
- Wrote a Review The Kalandhars and their Dancing Bears in Fatehpur Sikri Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Fatehpur SikriSee All Photos (26)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue