"New Delhi - City of Contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi by DaDrifter
New Delhi Travel Guide: 1,142 reviews and 2,549 photos
New Delhi - the capital of India is a huge chaotic city, full of contrasts. It is perhaps the only city that truly represents the rich cultural and religious diversity of India. Delhi has stood witness to 5000 years of a glorious, rich and turbulent history. Stupendous ruins from the past lie scattered all across the city, forming an integral part of its ever-changing urban landscape.
Delhi is also a city divided - between the narrow, over crowded lanes of Old Delhi, where not much has changed in recent times and the wide, clean tree-lined streets of New Delhi. It doesn't take much to 'Time Travel' in this city. Just hop into an auto rickshaw and head towards the Lal Quila and Jama Masjid area. The older parts of the city appear frozen in time. For the most exciting experience of your life, get onto a cycle rickshaw and ask to be taken to the spice and dry fruit market at Khari Baoli, down the main street of Chandni Chowk. Be prepared to be shocked, humbled, overwhelmed, dismayed, amazed, frustrated and fascinated ... all at the same time :)
Delhi is a city of 14 million people, 4.5 million vehicles and yet one of the greenest cities in India. New Delhi has been awarded the Common Wealth games for the year 2010. A major initiative has been taken to de-congest the city roads by building flyovers and a new world class Metro service. Be prepared to see a lot of dug up roads and traffic diversions.
Delhi experiences climatic extremes - the winter months of December through February are particularly harsh, the minimum temperature tends to drop to 5 degrees C. The summer months of April through June are uncomfortably hot, the temperature touching 45 degrees C. Delhi also receives a fair amount of rain, the months of July through September are the wettest. The best time of the year to visit Delhi is the months of November through March.
Delhi is not the kind of city that you can fathom in a day or two. You need to spend a lot more time to get to its soul. We have all heard about the alarming levels of pollution, persistence of the beggars, swindlers and touts, the gridlocked traffic and the weather extremes ... it's not all that bad really. Like most other big cities, Delhi too suffers from all the problems of a modern day growing city, trying desperately to keep up with the demands of an ever increasing population. It still has a lot to offer - History, Culture, Arts, Crafts, Cuisine, Shopping and a lot more ....
I have just started working on these pages and hope to keep updating as and when I get the time ... bear with me please :)
- Pros:Rich Culture, History and the Cuisine Capital of India
- Cons:Uncomfortably hot in the summer, Pollution, Scams and Traffic jams
- In a nutshell:A great experience, just come with loads of patience and an open mind ;-)
The Moti Masjid or the Pearl Mosque was a later day addition to the fort complex. This was built in 1659 by Emperor... more travel advice
Rang Mahal (Palace of Colour) served as a part of the Zenana (women's quarters) of the imperial residence. During the... more travel advice
DaDrifter's Related Pages
New Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Delhi - City of Contrasts"
- "NewDelhi- Capital of India.."
- "The capital city of my country"
- "Delhi- Past and Present"
- "New Delhi"
- "Meeting friends at New Delhi"
- "Political Heart of the World's Biggest Democracy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Delhi
- Hotels in New Delhi
- Transportation in New Delhi
- Nightlife in New Delhi
- Restaurants in New Delhi
- Shopping in New Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in New Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Delhi
- 42 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to New Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Delhi
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colonial Impressions - Rashtrapati Bhawan"
- Commented on one of oisha's New Delhi travel pages
- Wrote a Review Moti Masjid - Imperial Mosque in New Delhi Things to Do
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: Missing tip ratings"
- updated a New Delhi Travelogue "New Delhi - Places of Worship"
Photos in New DelhiSee All Photos (82)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 42 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue