"KYLEMORE ABBEY HOME OF THE IRISH BENEDICTINE NUNS" Kylemore by lina112
Kylemore Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 24 photos
Kylemore Abbey is the oldest of the Irish Benedictine Abbeys. The Community of nuns, who have resided here since 1920, have a long histoyr stretching back almost three hundred and forty years. Founded in Ypres, Belgium, in 1665, the house was formally made over to the Irish nation in 1682. The purpose of the Abbey at Ypres was to provide an education and religious community for irish women during times of persecution here in Ireland. Down through the centuries, Ypres Abbey attracted the daughters of the Irish nobility, both as students and postulants, an enjoyed the patronage of many influential Irish families living in exile. At the request of King James II the nuns moved to Dublin in 1688. However, they returned to Ypres following James defeat at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. The Community finally left Ypres after their Abbey was destroyed in the early days of World War I. The Community first took refue in England and later in Co Wexford, before eventually settling in Kylemore in December 1920. At Kylemore, the nuns reopened their international boarding school and established a day school for local girls. They also ran a farm and guesthouse. The guesthouse was closed after a fire in 1959.
I went by bus to Kylemore Abbey. There´s some bus company, you can book your ticket on Galway Tourist office or on your... more travel advice
mitchell Henry built the Gothic Church beween 1877 and 1881 as a memorial to his wife. The Church is a "Cathedral in... more travel advice
lina112's Related Pages
Kylemore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KYLEMORE ABBEY HOME OF THE IRISH BENEDICTINE NUNS"
- "Ireland's own Taj Mahal"
- "Kylemore Abbey"
- "Kylemore Abby"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kylemore
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Kylemore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kylemore
Top 10 Pages
- Scotland Intro, 47 reviews, 153 photos
- London Intro, 61 reviews, 95 photos
- Dublin Intro, 54 reviews, 94 photos
- Berlin Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 34 reviews, 88 photos
- Prague Intro, 50 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 47 reviews, 59 photos
- Florence Intro, 27 reviews, 79 photos
- Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Málaga Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue