"Tropical Texas By The Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination South Padre Island by TexasDave
South Padre Island Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 183 photos
South Padre Island is a barrier island. a long, narrow island running parallel to the coast but about 2 miles out in the Gulf. This makes posible two different salt-water experiences- a nice surf on the East side, and a calm lake between the West side and the mainland, called the Laguna Madre. People even do salt-water fly fishing in the laguna!
The water is crystal clear. On the Gulf side there are several sand bars so as you walk into the Gulf you hit water that is chest-deep and as you keep going all of a sudden it's only up to your ankles. That is repeated several times depending on the tide level.
P.S. Don't overlook pages about Port Isabel which is the town on the mainland that SPI is connected to by the Causeway.
- Pros:Nice water, good variety of lodging and eats
- Cons:It's a long drive thru barren South Texas to get there.
- In a nutshell:A nice place to unwind and spend a week or so.
Just spent 2 nights. most HGI's are cookie-cutter hotels, not this one, and that's a good thing. It is one of the... more travel advice
This used to be a Sheraton and was one of the first national chain hotels on the island. It has been refurbished in... more travel advice
- An interesting day trip!
- Tourist Info
- Kites For The Beach
- See All Japanese at the Beach!
TexasDave's Related Pages
South Padre Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Padre Island, Texas"
- "Tropical Texas By The Sea"
- "South Padre Island"
- "South Padre Food & Fun"
- "South Padre Island...Texas' best beach"
- "Padre 03"
- "I Love SPI"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Padre Island
- Hotels in South Padre Island
- Transportation in South Padre Island
- Nightlife in South Padre Island
- Restaurants in South Padre Island
- Shopping in South Padre Island
- Warnings and Dangers in South Padre Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Padre Island
- 19 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to South Padre Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Padre Island
Photos in South Padre IslandSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 113 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 141 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 127 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 38 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos