"Georgia's Rome" Rome by TexasDave
Rome Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 34 photos
The small city of Rome, Ga (pop. 36,000) has a few characteristics in common with the 'original' Rome in Italy, namely: both have 7 hills and a river running through the middle of the city. After that the comparisons come to a stop.
There is some indication that the Spanish explorer Hernan De Soto made a pass through this area as early as 1540. It was the home to a good many Coosa, Creek, and finally Cherokee Native Americans.
The city was officially named Rome in 1834 and developed as a main commercial hub of NW Georgia. Union General Sherman occupied Rome in 1864 and burned down its iron works and forts on his way to Atlanta. It later rebounded, however, and presently has a large area of Victorian style houses and stores in and around the downtown area.
In recent years several international companies have set up plants and warehouses here, to the point that the Hawthorn Suites downtown has Japanese cable channels for visiting businessmen.
Surrounded by the Etowah, Oostanaula and Coosa Rivers, Between the Rivers is the site of Rome's founding in 1834. First... more travel advice
One of the thirty original libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie in Georgia. Built in 1911, this building has been... more travel advice
TexasDave's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "rome georgia"
- "My Baptism"
- "Georgia's Rome"
- "I am at home in Rome!"
- "Jimmy7000's new Rome Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 114 reviews, 278 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 142 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 127 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 38 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos