"Central Georgia's Showpiece" Top 5 Page for this destination Macon by TexasDave
Macon Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 77 photos
After the establishment of Bibb County in 1822, the city was chartered as the county seat in 1823 and officially named Macon, in honor of North Carolina statesman Nathaniel Macon because many of the city's early settlers hailed from North Carolina. The city planners of Macon envisioned "a city within a park" and went about creating a city of spacious streets and parks. They also designated 250 acres for Central City Park and citizens were required by ordinances to plant shade trees in their front yards. Macon became an important city because of it's being close to the Ocmulgee River as well as the railroad. It even served as a temporary State Capitol during the Civil War. Macon was spared by General Sherman on his march to the sea.
The city has a vibrant downtown with museums, restaurants, local businesses, many of which occupy restored 19th century buildings.
Macon has a current population of about 100,000.
This is mainly for younger elementary school aged children. There are many hands-on exhibits, a mock TV Station, Reading... more travel advice
The largest museum of African American items in the State includes African art, Folk art, Fine art, historical items,... more travel advice
TexasDave's Related Pages
Macon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "macon georgia"
- "The home of Rock icon Little Richard, et al."
- "Spring in Macon is Beautiful"
- "SOME EXTREME HIGH POINTS AND LOW ONES"
- "Central Georgia's Showpiece"
- "Help!! I can't believe I live here!!"
- "Macon - Center of Georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macon
- Hotels in Macon
- Transportation in Macon
- Nightlife in Macon
- Restaurants in Macon
- Shopping in Macon
- Warnings and Dangers in Macon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macon
- 13 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Macon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macon
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 113 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 141 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 127 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 38 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos