"Rural Central Georgia Town" Eatonton by TexasDave
Eatonton Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 24 photos
Eatonton is the county seat of Putnam County, which was named for General Israel Putnam of Connecticut, Mass., one of the most noted patriots of the Revolutionary War. The new county lay in the heart of Georgia’s Piedmont region and was part of the lands ceded by the Creek Indians in 1802 and 1805. The new county filled quickly with land-hungry settlers, and had a total population of 15,475 by 1820---the total population of Putnam County in 2000 was 18,812.
Putnam County is the birthplace of Joel Chandler Harris (1848), who created the world famous “Uncle Remus” folklore tales. These folklore tales were his most famous masterpieces. Who can forget those wonderful characters like Br’er Rabbit and Br’er Fox.
1983 Pulitzer Prize winning author Alice Walker, was also born in Putnam County. Her novel “The Color Purple” was later made into a hit movie starring Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey.
Another famous person who originated from Putnam County is S. Truett Cathy. Truett Cathy is the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Chick-fil-a, Inc. Truett Cathy opened his first Chick-fil-a restaurant in 1967 and now there are approximately 975 restaurants.
When the County Seat has a population of barely 7,000, you can imagine the 'downtown' of the city isn't exactly a... more travel advice
TexasDave's Related Pages
Eatonton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eatonton: Fun Times with Academic Games"
- "eatonton georgia"
- "Rural Central Georgia Town"
- "Basaic Eatonton Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Eatonton
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Eatonton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eatonton
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 111 reviews, 261 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 141 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 127 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 37 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos
No friends yet.