Dahlonega Things to Do Tips by TexasDave
Dahlonega Things to Do: 20 reviews and 38 photos
Gold mining is what put Dahlonega on the map and even though it's well past its hey-day gold is still being mined in these mountains.
For a fee you can take a tour of an underground mine and includes the opportunity to pan for gold. You are given a plate loaded with sand and gravel and you are taught how to sift out the impurities to get to the gold- and generally there is a small flack or two you can take as a souvenir.
Consolidated mine is the place where the 'glory hole' was discovered and then mined. Most of the time gold is found encased in a vein of quartz and most veins are the thickness of a pencil, or at the largest an inch or two. Here the vein was 22 feet thick and a couple hundred feet deep. At times half a million dollars worth of gold was mined in one shift! The tour takes about 40 minutes and is very interesting.
There is also a gift shop selling geodes and mineral samples from all over the world, and a lapidary.
Address: 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd.
The local Chamber of Commerce has a Visitor's Center on the north side of the Square.
Address: Corner of E. Main and S. Park
The old Lumpkin County Courthouse (built 1836) was bought by the State of Georgia and is now part of the State Parks system. It contains very complete and interesting displays about the Gold Rush era. A short movie is presented with interviews of old-timers about how things were. Lots of memorabilia (mining equipment, tools) including a complete set of the gold coins minted here by the federal government between 1838-1861.
On weekends during the warmer months artisans set up around the square and demonstrate their crafts.
Admission is $4 adults, $2.50 children.
Directions: Downtown Square
More Reviews (1)
TexasDave's Related Pages
Dahlonega Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gold, the slower pace, mountains, and tasty food"
- "Dahlonega, Georgia"
- "Home of the first gold rush in America"
- "Home of America's First Gold Rush"
- "Dahlonega: Gold Rush"
- "dahlonega georgia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dahlonega
- Hotels in Dahlonega
- Transportation in Dahlonega
- Nightlife in Dahlonega
- Restaurants in Dahlonega
- Shopping in Dahlonega
- See All...
Explore the World
- Savannah Things to Do
- Saint Augustine Things to Do
- Seattle Things to Do
- Sorrento Things to Do
- Laoag City Things to Do
- Windsor Things to Do
- Kuching Things to Do
- Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do
- Mystic Things to Do
- Coron Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Sonora Things to Do
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Las Vegas Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Dahlonega
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Dahlonega?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dahlonega
Photos in DahlonegaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 111 reviews, 261 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 49 reviews, 141 photos
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 127 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 49 reviews, 96 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 37 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Versailles Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Dahlonega hotel reviews
- Forest Hills Mountain Hideaway
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Smith House
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Econo Lodge Dahlonega
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Super 8 Dahlonega
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Cedar House Inn & Yurts
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013