"The Land of Perfect Pleasures" Las Vegas by SabrinaSummerville

Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,464 reviews and 17,454 photos

The Start of it All

Let me be honest - the real reason I was heading to Las Vegas was to see the Grand Canyon. Vegas just happened to be "by the way". Hmmm, the Grand Canyon isn't even in Nevada, and it was a major mistake to think that was all there would be to the visit. Now I have the Grand Canyon on an Arizona page, and will take the greatest of pleaseure in building a Las Vegas page that will be entirely different from what I expected - for the better, by far!!

Dispelling the Myths

Before I set off on my Vegas adventure, there was a lot of debate here on the site about Vegas as a destination. From those who knew little better, many of the comments were negative. These were undeserved comments.

On my way to the airport, leaving this magical City, I remarked to our taxi driver that most people say three days in Vegas is enough. He replied that this comment generally comes from those who visit Vegas to drink, party, and gamble. I agree with him. So if you're looking for some Vegas pages on drinking and gambling I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help!!

Some of the other Vegas myths that cropped up here were the following:-
1. Vegas is a City for a much older crowd and most Vegas tourists are of the mature age group. This isn't true at all! I was actually struck on the very first day by the great number of really young people in the resort. At the weekend there were more young people than old.
2. There's nothing more to Vegas than drinking and gambling. Another myth! Anyone who makes that claim hasn't visited the wonderful museums and galleries, or indulged in a gastronomic feast at one of the great signature restaurants. Vegas attracts the very best in art exhibitions and a very classy crowd to go with that side of it.
3. Vegas is tacky and over the top. Perhaps over the top on the strip, yes, but not in a tacky or distasteful way at all. Driving through the streets I gasped in wonderment at the spectacular edifices that were the hotels. A bit like a Disneyland for grownups and kids alike. There is a place for over the top - and that place is Vegas. It's done in the best possible way.

Would I return?

I answer with a resounding YES!!

I would return for the constantly smiling people, the almost perfect weather, the incredible food, to see the sites I haven't had time to see as yet, to learn to gamble (for fun), and to experience once again my favourites of all the things I did manage to achieve.

Vegas is not for the feint hearted, but it is a City that will give you back twice what you put into it. There is something here for everyone and it really will take your breath away (even if that is when you lose your first grand on the poker table!!).

• Pros:The people, weather, food, fun, whatever you want!
  • Cons:The Hotels are just SO BIG!
  • Last visit to Las Vegas: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2006

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I still haven't been to Las Vegas, but will go on my way to Grand Canyon one day! How about DC? DC is a FABULOUS city, Gabrielle.

• Nov 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Great site. This could probably have the refactoring tag added t it.giftideastiffany.com/tiffany...

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Looking forward to returning here in October! Still loving the page! Gillybob greetings

• Oct 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM

We also had MUCh trouble with Grayhound shuttle bus to airport.

• Tableaux1's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Great Vegas tips! Vegas is one of my favorite places.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 11:06 AM

No wonder you liked Las Vegas. You definitely did it first class all the way. As for the unhappy cocktail waitresses: how would you like walking around in those heels for 8 hours? :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

superb set of rest. tips. if only all tips on vt were written this way

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Thanks. I enjoyed your Las Vegas Page. The tips are very good.

• rdney99's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Gabi- It's really neat that you discovered Red Square also- very intriguing place, I just had a martini there.. too bad I ate dinner elsewhere before, but I loved the Russian atmosphere anyway.- Tony

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Being to Vegas a few times. Never boring moment. Enjoyed reading your trip there. Bring back great memories. Cheers, SL

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Las Vegas

Have you been to Las Vegas?

Latest Activity in Las Vegas