"The Land of Perfect Pleasures" Las Vegas by SabrinaSummerville
Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,464 reviews and 17,454 photos
Let me be honest - the real reason I was heading to Las Vegas was to see the Grand Canyon. Vegas just happened to be "by the way". Hmmm, the Grand Canyon isn't even in Nevada, and it was a major mistake to think that was all there would be to the visit. Now I have the Grand Canyon on an Arizona page, and will take the greatest of pleaseure in building a Las Vegas page that will be entirely different from what I expected - for the better, by far!!
Before I set off on my Vegas adventure, there was a lot of debate here on the site about Vegas as a destination. From those who knew little better, many of the comments were negative. These were undeserved comments.
On my way to the airport, leaving this magical City, I remarked to our taxi driver that most people say three days in Vegas is enough. He replied that this comment generally comes from those who visit Vegas to drink, party, and gamble. I agree with him. So if you're looking for some Vegas pages on drinking and gambling I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help!!
Some of the other Vegas myths that cropped up here were the following:-
1. Vegas is a City for a much older crowd and most Vegas tourists are of the mature age group. This isn't true at all! I was actually struck on the very first day by the great number of really young people in the resort. At the weekend there were more young people than old.
2. There's nothing more to Vegas than drinking and gambling. Another myth! Anyone who makes that claim hasn't visited the wonderful museums and galleries, or indulged in a gastronomic feast at one of the great signature restaurants. Vegas attracts the very best in art exhibitions and a very classy crowd to go with that side of it.
3. Vegas is tacky and over the top. Perhaps over the top on the strip, yes, but not in a tacky or distasteful way at all. Driving through the streets I gasped in wonderment at the spectacular edifices that were the hotels. A bit like a Disneyland for grownups and kids alike. There is a place for over the top - and that place is Vegas. It's done in the best possible way.
I answer with a resounding YES!!
I would return for the constantly smiling people, the almost perfect weather, the incredible food, to see the sites I haven't had time to see as yet, to learn to gamble (for fun), and to experience once again my favourites of all the things I did manage to achieve.
Vegas is not for the feint hearted, but it is a City that will give you back twice what you put into it. There is something here for everyone and it really will take your breath away (even if that is when you lose your first grand on the poker table!!).
- Pros:The people, weather, food, fun, whatever you want!
- Cons:The Hotels are just SO BIG!
I dropped into Red Square when I was killing time before dinner, and I was sorry I hadn't booked to dine here. I just... more travel advice
When I speak of Star Gazing, I'm not talking about the celestial kind of bodies, but rather the tanned, toned, gorgeous... more travel advice
SabrinaSummerville's Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "las vegas"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 21 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
- Posted in Travel Waterford Forum "Re: Easter Break"
- Commented on one of gkitzmil's Las Vegas travel pages
- Wrote a Review Eat your Fill of Good Food about Bay Side Buffet at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ice Bar with a Difference"
- updated a Las Vegas Travel Page "The Land of Perfect Pleasures"
Photos in Las VegasSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterford Intro, 66 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 32 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 34 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Marbella Intro, 13 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 22 reviews, 76 photos
- Cairo Intro, 30 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Killarney Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 12 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos