"Mystical County, Medieval City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilkenny by SabrinaSummerville
Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 657 photos
Kilkenny is the neighbouring County to my own, Waterford, and it's City, also called Kilkenny, is also the closest City to Waterford. Because of this you might think that the people of each county are very close, but there's a great friendly rivalry between the population of the two. This is especially true when it comes to Hurling (a Gaelic game similar in ways to hockey but with wider sticks, made from ash and known as "Hurleys", and with a ball called a "sliotar"). In fairness to the Kilkenny players, they usually beat us:-(
As with Waterford County having its own city called Waterford, Kilkenny has a City called Kilkenny. Don't become confused - there are 26 Counties in the Republic of Ireland but just six cities. Indeed, many people don't know that Kilkenny is a City, even Irish people, but it is an ancient medieval city with its own City charter.
The City of Kilkenny has a name for being a party City - full of buzzing pubs and swinging clubs. Because it's such fun, it's a terrific honey pot to attract stag and hen parties. I also know of many female friends who have gone to Kilkenny to meet nice men - and succeeded. I was even at one of the weddings:-)
This is a City that, although it is fast developing, has retained a lot of its original medieval character. Take a look at Kilkenny Castle, right in the heart of the City, for example.
The streets are narrow with many interesting shops and bars, and indeed it is a fantastic place to shop. They have the biggest and best stocked Monsoon that I've ever seen anywhere.
I'm posting a pic here that I find darkly amusing. My Mum had a knee replacement last year and when I went to visit her in the hospital, which was in Kilkenny, I snapped these abandoned crutches secluded in this lovely old archway. Seems to me that even the patients throw away their crutches to have some clubbing fun here.
The City is nestled on the banks of the Nore. It's the only Irish City that's not on the coast and so trhe locals love the river as it winds its way through the county. The riverbanks here have been beautifully landscaped and the bridge in the centre of the town is an achitectural antique worth of being photographed often.
Matt the Miller's is just one of Kilkenny's many landmark pubs. It's also probably one of the largest and is indeed hard... more travel advice
KK Castle is, without a doubt, the most famous monument or structure in all of county Kilkenny. It's been perfectly... more travel advice
SabrinaSummerville's Related Pages
Kilkenny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kilkenny-1st stop on our Ireland adventure"
- "County Kilkenny"
- "A Beautiful Town, A Few Hours From Dublin"
- "Mystical County, Medieval City"
- "Barry's Kilkenny Page"
- "Kilkenny: The Friendliest Place I Ever Did Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kilkenny
- Hotels in Kilkenny
- Transportation in Kilkenny
- Nightlife in Kilkenny
- Restaurants in Kilkenny
- Shopping in Kilkenny
- Warnings and Dangers in Kilkenny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kilkenny
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Kilkenny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilkenny
Photos in KilkennySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterford Intro, 66 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 32 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 34 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Marbella Intro, 13 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 22 reviews, 76 photos
- Cairo Intro, 30 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Killarney Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 12 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos