"Mystical County, Medieval City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilkenny by SabrinaSummerville

Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 662 photos

Next Door Neighbour

Kilkenny is the neighbouring County to my own, Waterford, and it's City, also called Kilkenny, is also the closest City to Waterford. Because of this you might think that the people of each county are very close, but there's a great friendly rivalry between the population of the two. This is especially true when it comes to Hurling (a Gaelic game similar in ways to hockey but with wider sticks, made from ash and known as "Hurleys", and with a ball called a "sliotar"). In fairness to the Kilkenny players, they usually beat us:-(

As with Waterford County having its own city called Waterford, Kilkenny has a City called Kilkenny. Don't become confused - there are 26 Counties in the Republic of Ireland but just six cities. Indeed, many people don't know that Kilkenny is a City, even Irish people, but it is an ancient medieval city with its own City charter.

Fun City

The City of Kilkenny has a name for being a party City - full of buzzing pubs and swinging clubs. Because it's such fun, it's a terrific honey pot to attract stag and hen parties. I also know of many female friends who have gone to Kilkenny to meet nice men - and succeeded. I was even at one of the weddings:-)

This is a City that, although it is fast developing, has retained a lot of its original medieval character. Take a look at Kilkenny Castle, right in the heart of the City, for example.

The streets are narrow with many interesting shops and bars, and indeed it is a fantastic place to shop. They have the biggest and best stocked Monsoon that I've ever seen anywhere.

I'm posting a pic here that I find darkly amusing. My Mum had a knee replacement last year and when I went to visit her in the hospital, which was in Kilkenny, I snapped these abandoned crutches secluded in this lovely old archway. Seems to me that even the patients throw away their crutches to have some clubbing fun here.

City on the Nore

The City is nestled on the banks of the Nore. It's the only Irish City that's not on the coast and so trhe locals love the river as it winds its way through the county. The riverbanks here have been beautifully landscaped and the bridge in the centre of the town is an achitectural antique worth of being photographed often.

• Last visit to Kilkenny: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Matt the Millers sounds like an enjoyable place to go. Would like to see a Hurling Match. What months is that played?

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM

Beautiful town.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Ganrielle, thanks for your interesting description!

• karcle's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 7:33 AM

gabrielle,i think kk is just the place for a vt meet:)

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 2:07 AM

Nice descriptions of Kilkenny. I hope Limerick don't play as well on 3rd Sept as they did on Sunday!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 6:55 AM

Mouthwatering restaurant tips and beautiful opening photos!! My wife and I would love to see more of Ireland. We drove just north of Kilkenny on our June, 2000 cross-country drive from Arklow to Limerick.

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Hello there Gabrielle, Great job on the restaurants I could not pic one as the both sounded so great...lol Well here come the New Year and I hope yours is full of beautiful new memories...Donna :)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 10:54 AM

superbly written as always, PS did they win today ?

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Kilkenny

Have you been to Kilkenny?