"Strawberry Fields Forever" Top 5 Page for this destination Wexford by SabrinaSummerville
Wexford Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 211 photos
Wexford is one of Waterford's neighbouring counties so I find myself going there pretty often.
For all that I have absolutely no pics of the town itself, just lots and lots of the beautiful scenery all around the County. I am going to make it my MISSION to get some really good pics of the town and post them here for you all to relish.
Sadly I think most visitors just drive through Wexford coming from or going to the ferry at Rosslare, but it's really worth taking the time to stop and visit a while.
What do I think of most when I think of Wexford?
* Great furniture shops.
* The Ferrycarrig Hotel.
* Thatched cottages.
* Strawberries, mmm (see below).
* My old secretary Alison.
* Hook Head.
I'll add to this list. Bear with me.
The reason for the title is that Wexford is renowned for it's strawberries and has a strawberry fair every year.
It's just delightful to drive along any of the roads approaching Wexford during strawberry season as the roads are dotted with sort of hawkers trailers selling the freshest locally grown strawberries, new potatoes, gooseberries, raspberries and all manner of organic delights. You haven't lived until you've tasted a pot of freshly boiled Wexford "spuds" (potatoes) laced with butter, followed by a big bowl of local strawberries drenched with cream.
Now I'm making myself hungry!
One thing that I can say about any of the Wexford people that I have known is that they are great workers. They are great fishermen and great carpenters I am told.
I'm going to post a pic of Alison who worked for me for four and a half years. She's not a fisherwoman and she's not a carpenter either. She types:-) She was just terrific and a lovely person too. Alison told me much of what I know about Wexford - especially Dunbrody House (see hotel & restaurant tips).
One other thing - Wexford people don't like Mondays bigtime. It's really hard to get any of the Wexford people I know to work on a Monday:-)
Wexford people are also very friendly.
The ruins of this fortified Church are a stunning site to explore in Templetown, overlooking the sea in the Ring of Hook... more travel advice
As you drive from Enniscorthy towards New Ross, you will pass the silver tree just sitting there in a field about five... more travel advice
Written May 1, 2006
Thatched Cottages of Wexford
Written May 3, 2006
The Ring of Hook
SabrinaSummerville's Related Pages
Wexford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Strawberry Fields Forever"
- "If you ever go across the sea to Ireland........."
- "My Second Home"
- "Thatched Cottages of Wexford"
- "Wexford Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wexford
- Hotels in Wexford
- Transportation in Wexford
- Nightlife in Wexford
- Restaurants in Wexford
- Shopping in Wexford
- Warnings and Dangers in Wexford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wexford
- 14 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Wexford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wexford
Photos in WexfordSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterford Intro, 66 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 32 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 34 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Marbella Intro, 13 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 22 reviews, 76 photos
- Cairo Intro, 30 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Killarney Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 12 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos