"Strawberry Fields Forever" Top 5 Page for this destination Wexford by SabrinaSummerville

Wexford Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 211 photos

My Mission

Wexford is one of Waterford's neighbouring counties so I find myself going there pretty often.

For all that I have absolutely no pics of the town itself, just lots and lots of the beautiful scenery all around the County. I am going to make it my MISSION to get some really good pics of the town and post them here for you all to relish.

Sadly I think most visitors just drive through Wexford coming from or going to the ferry at Rosslare, but it's really worth taking the time to stop and visit a while.

What do I think of most when I think of Wexford?
* Great furniture shops.
* The Ferrycarrig Hotel.
* Curracloe.
* Thatched cottages.
* Strawberries, mmm (see below).
* My old secretary Alison.
* Hook Head.
* Architects.

I'll add to this list. Bear with me.

Strawberry Fields

The reason for the title is that Wexford is renowned for it's strawberries and has a strawberry fair every year.

It's just delightful to drive along any of the roads approaching Wexford during strawberry season as the roads are dotted with sort of hawkers trailers selling the freshest locally grown strawberries, new potatoes, gooseberries, raspberries and all manner of organic delights. You haven't lived until you've tasted a pot of freshly boiled Wexford "spuds" (potatoes) laced with butter, followed by a big bowl of local strawberries drenched with cream.

Now I'm making myself hungry!

Wexford People

One thing that I can say about any of the Wexford people that I have known is that they are great workers. They are great fishermen and great carpenters I am told.

I'm going to post a pic of Alison who worked for me for four and a half years. She's not a fisherwoman and she's not a carpenter either. She types:-) She was just terrific and a lovely person too. Alison told me much of what I know about Wexford - especially Dunbrody House (see hotel & restaurant tips).

One other thing - Wexford people don't like Mondays bigtime. It's really hard to get any of the Wexford people I know to work on a Monday:-)

Wexford people are also very friendly.

• Last visit to Wexford: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2006

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 3:27 AM

really must get down there one day. regards. sb

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM

OK, I am really hungry now!

• Sep 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Hi, I'm from Fethard on Sea and read ur comment on Templars and its so sad but true. I remember to Sundays where you couldnt get a seat. Its gone so down hill in the last couple of years & such a shame too. I totally agree with you

• Apr 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I have visited the place many times and always find the staff very friendly and food delicious. It is home cooked ( especialy their fish and chips!) I would recommend this place as a family friendly pub where children are accommodated for very well.

• 1IRISHLAD1's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Did you say LUCIFER, at one point in my life I think I dated his sister!!! Keep yhat smile, it looks great on you. PAT

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM

I've been to Wexford many, many years ago and it seems that I've forgotten everything. Does it mean that I will have to go back there? Lovely page with lots of information. Happy Birthday, Gabrielle!

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 1:26 AM

What a lovely Irish village! I agree with you on the thatched cottages...I adore them!. Loved the sound of your meal at Reeds Restaurant...all those scallops and prawns!...great tips...thanks...

• nandywell's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 4:09 AM

I have a daughter who lives in Wexford I am there at this moment, I too love the thatch:-))

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 2:00 PM

I can't wait to come back to Ireland ! Simply beautiful Gab!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 3:04 PM

what a beautiful tree!

SabrinaSummerville Visits Here Frequently!

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Wexford

Have you been to Wexford?

Latest Activity in Wexford