"City of Art and Lovers" Florence by SabrinaSummerville
Florence Travel Guide: 5,286 reviews and 12,068 photos
When I was young I remember that there was a famous chef who was known as the Galloping Gourmet. It struck me this evening as I sat down to write my Florence page as that is what our guide literally did - galloped us around the gourmet sights of this wonderfully artistic city. It is said to be the one city in the world that has more original and famous art per square metre than any other city!
As a result of the speed at which we were guided, I ended up not liking Florence and I don't even know if I would chance going back again without a guide to see if that would alter my view. On this occasion, we had just one day to spend in Florence.
For those of you who aren't aware (and I wasn't until I visited this City), the Florentines (or someone!) are obsessed with the naked image of David - so much so that they have created a couple of copies and I saw two of those - one at the Piazza Michelangelo and the other at the Piazza Croce. I must check, but I think the original is in the Ufizzi Gallery. We were so rushed that I didn't even get to see inside the Gallery.
I was happy with the copy of the naked David - what a fine figure of a man! By the way, at the Piazza Michelangelo (and at various other coveted locations throughout the city) you will find men's boxer shorts and women's aprons for sale depicting David's genitals! No, I didn't bring either of these classic souvenirs home:-)
Indeed, I titled this place "City of Art and Lovers" and I have more or less adequately explained the Art angle. As for the lovers? Hmmm, any of my friends who have lovers have brought them to Florence. Interestingly, when it comes to Florence it appears to be the ladies who bring the gentlemen and not vice versa. Maybe the men have a little more sense as in the stories I have heard, the couples all ended up fighting at the end of the trip ;-) Maybe they all had the galloping guide, too!
- Pros:Some of the most wonderful art in the world.
- Cons:Big and Hot and very little shelter.
- In a nutshell:I won't be rushing back.
I had promised my Aunt that I would take her to Florence for her 70th birthday. Although the trip came some two months... more travel advice
Our tour guide arranged a lunch in Palazzo Borghese for those of us who were interested. The Palazzo was once the home... more travel advice
SabrinaSummerville's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waterford Intro, 66 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 32 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba Intro, 34 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 32 reviews, 80 photos
- Marbella Intro, 13 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 22 reviews, 76 photos
- Cairo Intro, 30 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Killarney Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 12 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos