"City of Art and Lovers" Florence by SabrinaSummerville

Florence Travel Guide: 5,156 reviews and 11,389 photos

Galloping Art Gourmets

When I was young I remember that there was a famous chef who was known as the Galloping Gourmet. It struck me this evening as I sat down to write my Florence page as that is what our guide literally did - galloped us around the gourmet sights of this wonderfully artistic city. It is said to be the one city in the world that has more original and famous art per square metre than any other city!

As a result of the speed at which we were guided, I ended up not liking Florence and I don't even know if I would chance going back again without a guide to see if that would alter my view. On this occasion, we had just one day to spend in Florence.

All these Naked Men! :-0

For those of you who aren't aware (and I wasn't until I visited this City), the Florentines (or someone!) are obsessed with the naked image of David - so much so that they have created a couple of copies and I saw two of those - one at the Piazza Michelangelo and the other at the Piazza Croce. I must check, but I think the original is in the Ufizzi Gallery. We were so rushed that I didn't even get to see inside the Gallery.

I was happy with the copy of the naked David - what a fine figure of a man! By the way, at the Piazza Michelangelo (and at various other coveted locations throughout the city) you will find men's boxer shorts and women's aprons for sale depicting David's genitals! No, I didn't bring either of these classic souvenirs home:-)

Oops, the Lovers Bit.....

Indeed, I titled this place "City of Art and Lovers" and I have more or less adequately explained the Art angle. As for the lovers? Hmmm, any of my friends who have lovers have brought them to Florence. Interestingly, when it comes to Florence it appears to be the ladies who bring the gentlemen and not vice versa. Maybe the men have a little more sense as in the stories I have heard, the couples all ended up fighting at the end of the trip ;-) Maybe they all had the galloping guide, too!

• Pros:Some of the most wonderful art in the world.
  • Cons:Big and Hot and very little shelter.
  • In a nutshell:I won't be rushing back.
  • Last visit to Florence: Sep 2006
  • Intro Written Sep 24, 2006

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence