"Place of the Magical Waters" Top 5 Page for this destination Sirmione by SabrinaSummerville

Sirmione Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 498 photos

Is it any Wonder?

I believe that Gorgeous George Clooney has a house in Sirmione on the shores of Lake Garda and, having just spent a week there, I am not even vaguelysurprised. The only thing that strikes me is that George cannot be too arrogant, as his handsome charms undoubtedly pale in conmparison to the beauties of this Historical town.

This town, as with several of the other lakeside towns, is walled and as the streets are so narrow traffic access is restricted to, well, all but buses! The etrance to the walled old town is romantically across the moat surrounding the Castle. The cars are meant to do no more than 2 miles an hour, but I warn you to take care - those Italian drivers all think they're at the Grand Prix ;-)

Our Hotel was the four star Sirmione and it's perched on the edge of the lake just inside the walls of this town. The place is incredibly quaint with some of the prettiest buildings I have ever seen.

Hot Stuff!

One of the main reasons that people return to Sirmione year after year is to experience the beneficial affects of the sulphorous waters that supposedly rejuvenate (aha, now we have discovered Swooney Clooney's big secret!!).

Our hotel swimming pool war a thermal sulphurous pool and I believe that some of the other hotels have a similar service. There is also the Aquaria at the top of the old town which is open to the public. Some spa treatments are free under various government schemes but more of that in my tips.

One thing that did strike me is that the majority oif guests in the resort were the over sixties - maybe it was the time of year, or maybe it was the search for eternal youth, but these people were full of fun!

Oh those Views!

Wherever you go in Sirmione the views are out of this world - views of the lake, the mountains, the bougainvillea covered ancient buildings, the narrow cobbled streets....need I go on?

Why not take a champagne sunset cruise in a motorboat to enjoy the views at their mort romantic? Or just sit sipping a strong coffee at a streetside cafe shaded by a tree and watch the world go by? My favourite viewing spot is at a little restaurant I discovered the very first day - I'll post the view pic here and the tip inside these pages:-)

• Pros:The natural beauty abounds.
  • Cons:You won't want to come home.
  • Last visit to Sirmione: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2006

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Amazing how people have different travel experiences. Thanks for sharing

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM

only on vt can you get in-depth analysis of italian gelati stalls ! happy bithday btw

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 3:45 AM

Interesting tips and pictures, i just love this place. greetz from Belgium

• Jan 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Beautiful pics and great tips... I might be going to Sirmione next summer...

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Very nicely done page. Your ice cream tip made my mouth water. Good advice about the bugs.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 1:10 PM

No gelato tips? That's one of the things I remember most about Sirmione! Did you walk out to the ruins of the Baths of Cattullus? So interesting!

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Gabrielle...these photos are just beautiful..sounds like a great time was had!!!Those water temps are far too high though :-(

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Sirmione

Have you been to Sirmione?

Latest Activity in Sirmione