"Heavenly Beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Varadero by SabrinaSummerville

Varadero Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,074 photos

Mixed Feelings

Varadero - my views are very mixed.

My Cuban experience wasn't at all helped by the fact that Paradisus Varadero decided to override my reservation (made sometime between March and May 2007 for a late December stay) and re-allocate me to their sister hotel Paradisus Princesa del Mar (which is to Princesses what Princess Fiona is to Princess Diana) without my consent!

The beaches are indeed stunning. I would happily have languished here for days had the weather been clement, but we found ourselves caught in the most winterlike conditions that Varadero has ever experienced. Temperatures dropped to a miserable 6 degrees for three wild and windy days. It was warmer at home in Ireland.

One invariably uses Varadero as a base from which to explore the more infamous high spots of Cuba, as we did. However, we did so when we could as I spent three days in bed suffering from some sort of tummy bug, which I attribute more to the "Princess Fiona" Hotel than to Cuba itself.

• Pros:Oh Those Beaches!
  • Last visit to Varadero: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Great Cuba page. I am heading back to Varadero in 2 weeks; I can barely contain myself!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Wow.. Cuba. Excellent tips. I enjoy your photo composition. You take the trouble to get an interesting angle. Cheers, SL:)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Yes, coconut juice is good...mostly water but nice and sweet --- keeps us hydrated at the beach...nice tips, Norman :)

• Oct 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Hope to have the change in my life to visit Cuba one day!

• Court94403's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Interesting page. Beautiful sunset.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM

*SIGH*. It is nice, isn't it? Thanks for visiting my (much smaller) Varadero page! I always try to tell people *not* to bring US dollars, but they don't listen. I think I'll skip the Paradisus Princesa del Mar if I ever return though. :D

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM

great page. i agree that you might as well wipe your bum with dollars these days

• ForeignTrade's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Excellent tips, expecially about hotels - I went to Cuba on a cruise many years ago, and I'd love to go back!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 12:48 AM

interesting page sabrina. nice to see that you were still able to enjoy yourself even if the hotel screwed you.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Lovely page! But what is machete? That looks like a very meaty buffet :-)

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Varadero

Have you been to Varadero?

Latest Activity in Varadero