"Heavenly Beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Varadero by SabrinaSummerville

Varadero Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 895 photos

Mixed Feelings

Varadero - my views are very mixed.

My Cuban experience wasn't at all helped by the fact that Paradisus Varadero decided to override my reservation (made sometime between March and May 2007 for a late December stay) and re-allocate me to their sister hotel Paradisus Princesa del Mar (which is to Princesses what Princess Fiona is to Princess Diana) without my consent!

The beaches are indeed stunning. I would happily have languished here for days had the weather been clement, but we found ourselves caught in the most winterlike conditions that Varadero has ever experienced. Temperatures dropped to a miserable 6 degrees for three wild and windy days. It was warmer at home in Ireland.

One invariably uses Varadero as a base from which to explore the more infamous high spots of Cuba, as we did. However, we did so when we could as I spent three days in bed suffering from some sort of tummy bug, which I attribute more to the "Princess Fiona" Hotel than to Cuba itself.

• Pros:Oh Those Beaches!
  • Last visit to Varadero: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2008

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Great Cuba page. I am heading back to Varadero in 2 weeks; I can barely contain myself!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Wow.. Cuba. Excellent tips. I enjoy your photo composition. You take the trouble to get an interesting angle. Cheers, SL:)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Yes, coconut juice is good...mostly water but nice and sweet --- keeps us hydrated at the beach...nice tips, Norman :)

• Oct 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Hope to have the change in my life to visit Cuba one day!

• Court94403's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Interesting page. Beautiful sunset.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM

*SIGH*. It is nice, isn't it? Thanks for visiting my (much smaller) Varadero page! I always try to tell people *not* to bring US dollars, but they don't listen. I think I'll skip the Paradisus Princesa del Mar if I ever return though. :D

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM

great page. i agree that you might as well wipe your bum with dollars these days

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Nice place. You should have smoke a cigar, might scare the mozzies ;-)

• ForeignTrade's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Excellent tips, expecially about hotels - I went to Cuba on a cruise many years ago, and I'd love to go back!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 12:48 AM

interesting page sabrina. nice to see that you were still able to enjoy yourself even if the hotel screwed you.

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Varadero

Have you been to Varadero?

Latest Activity in Varadero