"City of Blue Skies and Smiles" Santiago by SabrinaSummerville

Santiago Travel Guide: 951 reviews and 2,200 photos

Let me go back - please.........

Feeling just a little bit unnerved after the sniffer dogs in Valparaiso (see tips on that city - not yet built, but I'll come back and refresh when they're done), I faced Santiago with some slight trepidation.

Our post cruise coach glided through pretty countryside as we took the 90 minute journey from Valparaiso to Santiago and I found myself in a South American paradise.

My lasting memories with be of clear bright blue skies, fresh air, hot dry sun, beautiful buildings and millions of brightly coloured flowers.

After checking into my hotel I wandered out into the lush gardens, sighed, and thought "I could stay here forever."

Sophisticated and Stunning

As a City, Santiago is both sophisticated and stunning. Nowhere do you got the smoggy cloggy feeling that abounds in most other big Cities.

As you walk you are surrounded by historical buildings, beautiful scenery, abounding colour, and of course the towering Andes overlook it all.

Quaint

There is a lot of "cuteness" about Santiago - from the bright yellow fire hydrants (pic attached) to the rickety bockety ramshackle news stands that look every bit like a shack but still busily ply their wares.

• Last visit to Santiago: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2007

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 11:12 AM

a nice page bringing back great memories ! In my case the cruise started in Valparaiso and ended in Rio.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 4:42 AM

Isn't it an amazing feeling to arrive somewhere and feel that 'this fits me' ! Lovely photos and the food tips were unfair to a dieter!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Good pages and photos !!!!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Great introduction of Santiago. The pisco sour looks irresistible :) SL

• Mar 27, 2007 at 5:02 AM

Lovely tips, Gabrielle! My ratings are with you :) I wish I'll go to Chile too, one day! Francesca

SabrinaSummerville

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Santiago

Have you been to Santiago?

Latest Activity in Santiago