"Lodz-The Manchester of Poland" Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz by stakhanov
Lodz Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 463 photos
Piotrkowska Street is the main street in Lodz where most things happen. Yet many people claim that there is only one street in Lodz worth seeing, and that backpackers shouldn't venture away from the street. They argue that the rest of the city is totally bleak and that the city is riddled with graffiti clad tower blocks and decaying buildings. Although this may be true to a certain degree, there are many places worth seeing away from the street.
Piotrkowska is comparable to streets such as Nevsky Prospekt in St.Petersburg and Broadway in New York.
During the summer, the street comes to life with its patio bars and rickshaw drivers. However, it is a different story in the winter.
There are places outside Piotrkowska worth seeing such as the Botanical Gardens and of course, the Poznanski Palace. However, my sacred place in Lodz is the Lagienwicki Woods. (not sure about spelling.) It has hectares of amazing woodland with two chapels dated from the 17 th and 18th centuries. Well worth a visit.
Lodz is a great place to catch beautiful sunrises and sunsets. The city has less rain than many other places in Europe and has amazingly crystal clear skies. Check this one out.
Lodz is known as the film capital of Poland, as many famous people such as Roman Polanski have sudied here and still continue to do so. Because of its industry, Lodz is known as HollyLodz (pron. Hollywoodge). Check out the stars on Piotrkowska Street near the Hotel Grand.
It is said that David Lynch loved the Lodz so much he bought a place here.
Check out the museum of cinematography on 1 Zwychiestwa Square.
- Pros:Good bars, nice parks and some fine art nouveau architecture from the 19th century
- Cons:The fact that museums shut at three on Saturdays and the drunks who,loiter in the city's underpasses
- In a nutshell:The city that never wakes up
Visit Lodz's Jewish cemetry on Bracka street. It is said that it is the largest of its kind and has over 250,000 graves... more travel advice
Lodz Kaliska is a pub situated on Piotrkowska Street. It has a young, vibrant, cosmopolitan feel to the place. The pub... more travel advice
stakhanov's Related Pages
Lodz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "sphynxxs's new Lodz Page"
- "Lodz-The Manchester of Poland"
- "Lodz, Poland - Photo and Film Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lodz
- Hotels in Lodz
- Transportation in Lodz
- Nightlife in Lodz
- Restaurants in Lodz
- Shopping in Lodz
- Warnings and Dangers in Lodz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lodz
- 14 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lodz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lodz
Photos in LodzSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lodz Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Zakopane Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Oswiecim Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Czech Republic Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Istanbul Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Madrid 1 review
No friends yet.